Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report Builder keeps saying I have a parameter that I actually deleted

Hello,

I am trying to build a report in Report Builder and have hit a snag.

I am working with car insurance data. I have a boolean variable called "IsClaimOpen" that I turned into a parameter using my dataset Query Designer. (The values are Yes and No.) Report Builder called it "ClaimIsClaimOpen" by default. For clarity I went into the Parameter Properties and changed the name to simply "IsClaimOpen".

All good so far, right? Wrong. When I ran the report, I received the following error message (with a buffering symbol and a "Loading..." message behind it):

ClaimIsClaimOpen.png

So I decided to go back and find out what the problem is. But not before playing around a little with the report. Once I got rid of the error message, the canvas showed me this error message:

ClaimIsClaimOpen canvas.png

But I WAS able to select Yes or No from the parameter. If I hit "View Report", though, it would bring up the same error message as before, again with a buffering symbol and a "Loading..." message behind it.

First I opened the Parameters folder on the the Report Data pane. There was one parameter there, labeled "IsClaimOpen". Then I went into the Dataset Properties window and then the Parameters section. Again, there was one parameter there, labeled "IsClaimOpen", with the expression "=Parameters!IsClaimOpen.Value(0)". I even tried running the report again, only to be taken to the same canvas as before.

So I went back to Designer view and opened up Dataset Properties, because surely there was something I missed! I opened up Query Designer and browsed a bit, but I couldn't find anything. So I closed the Query Designer window and navigated to the Parameters tab of the Dataset Properties window. There I found the problem. There were two parameters listed. The second was named Is_Claim_Open and had the same expression as the one I named IsClaimOpen, but the first was called ClaimIsClaimOpen and was blank! I deleted this parameter immediately, and then ran the report again. But I got the same result as before.

Does anyone have an idea what is causing this or how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

When you create parameters in paginated reports there are 3 things to consider

1. At the report level you have a parameters collection, these are the parameter options the users sees when they run your report
  2. At the query level you define parameters in your query
  3. At the Dataset level there is a parameters property where you define the mapping between the report parameters and the query parameter. This is because you could have multiple datasets so you may feed some of the parameters from the report into multiple datasets.

It sounds like you may have just changed the mapping in item 3 there by invalidating the mapping so that the value from the report parameter was no longer passed to the correct query parameter.

When you changed ClaimsIsClaimOpen to IsClaimOpen did you just do this in the dataset parameters setting or did you also rename the parameter in your query text? The fact that the designer keeps re-creating the ClaimsIsClaimOpen parameter tells me that there is probably still a reference to a parameter with this name in your query. 

The simplest fix is to delete your IsClaimOpen parameter in the query parameters and add the "=Parameters!IsClaimOpen.Value(0)" expression to the ClaimIsClaimOpen parameter which the designer keeps adding back.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

When you create parameters in paginated reports there are 3 things to consider

1. At the report level you have a parameters collection, these are the parameter options the users sees when they run your report
  2. At the query level you define parameters in your query
  3. At the Dataset level there is a parameters property where you define the mapping between the report parameters and the query parameter. This is because you could have multiple datasets so you may feed some of the parameters from the report into multiple datasets.

It sounds like you may have just changed the mapping in item 3 there by invalidating the mapping so that the value from the report parameter was no longer passed to the correct query parameter.

When you changed ClaimsIsClaimOpen to IsClaimOpen did you just do this in the dataset parameters setting or did you also rename the parameter in your query text? The fact that the designer keeps re-creating the ClaimsIsClaimOpen parameter tells me that there is probably still a reference to a parameter with this name in your query. 

The simplest fix is to delete your IsClaimOpen parameter in the query parameters and add the "=Parameters!IsClaimOpen.Value(0)" expression to the ClaimIsClaimOpen parameter which the designer keeps adding back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d_gosbell,

Thanks for the reply. I did only change the parameter within the Parameters section of the Dataset Properties window. I have just tried the fix you suggested, and the report works now!

Not only that, but when I went back to Design view, I was able to add the parameter back!

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To add the parameter, click the Parameters toolbar button in the Query Designer window. From there you can add your parameter names and default values.

vluwangmsft_1-1663224598409.png

Once you've done this, the global parameter list will contain that parameter and allow you to use expressions etc.

Refer the following article ,and check if it is helpful.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2651555/the-query-contains-the-xxxxxname-parameter-which-is-not-declared-ssrs2008-mdx 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/The-Query-contains-the-quot-XXXX-quot-parameter-which-is-not/m-p/1812505 

Best Regards
Lucien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying @v-luwang-msft. However, I need help deleting a parameter, not adding one. Also, the button you highlighted is grayed out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.