Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Taher1
Frequent Visitor

RLS multiple roles in multiple reports

Hello Power BI Community,

I have created report A using Dataset A in Power BI Desktop and then published it to Power BI Service, in which RLS roles have been created, Role 1 and Role 2. Then I assigned a users email for both roles.

Then I have created a similar report B also in Power BI Desktop using Dataset A with Live connection. 

I would like to have my users accessing report A using Role 1 and when they access report B, they should access it through Role 2. Is this possible? If not, are there any workarounds for such a case?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
jaweher899
Super User
Super User

Yes, it is possible to have different roles for different reports that use the same dataset in Power BI Service.

One way to achieve this is by creating separate workspaces for each report in Power BI Service. A workspace is a shared area where you can collaborate with others to build and organize Power BI content. When you publish a report to a workspace, it becomes the primary content of that workspace.

Once you have created separate workspaces for each report, you can assign different roles to different users for each workspace. The users will then access each report through the roles associated with the corresponding workspace.

Here's the high-level process:

1. Create two workspaces in Power BI Service: one for Report A and another for Report B.
  2. Publish Report A to the workspace for Report A, and publish Report B to the workspace for Report B.
  3. In the workspace for Report A, create the roles Role 1 and Role 2, and assign users to each role as appropriate.
  4. In the workspace for Report B, create the roles Role 2 and Role 3, and assign users to each role as appropriate.
  5. The users will now access Report A through Role 1 or Role 2, and Report B through Role 2 or Role 3, depending on the role they have been assigned in each workspace.

By creating separate workspaces for each report, you can effectively have different roles for different reports that use the same dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors