Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IHam
Helper III
Helper III

Questions about reports and datasets in different workspaces

I have two workspaces with some of the same reports in them with the same name, my workspace and an app workspace. If I publish my new report X to my workspace, will it change it for both workspaces? (I appreciate in the app, if its a new graphic, it needs republishing). Will it change in my workspace if publish it to the app first?

What about scheduled refreshes? Will a scheduled refresh in my workspace refresh the same datset in the app workspace? What about the other way around?

Appreciate you expertise on this.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I mentioned the composite models. Your dataset is used in someone else's dataset as a source. Meta data changes in your dataset will affect them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Reports have nothing to do with this. Datasets in different workspaces refresh independently in import mode.  However you can join them / chain them (as composite models) in which case the upstream dataset is treated as a Direct Query source and its meta data participates in the refresh.

Thanks, so when I publish the report to my workspace and it tells me that this "may impact 2 workspaces, 7 reports and 3 dashboards" this isn't the case and it only impacts the workspace I upload it to?

I mentioned the composite models. Your dataset is used in someone else's dataset as a source. Meta data changes in your dataset will affect them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors