Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Michael_Mertens
Resolver I
Resolver I

Preview Feature in Desktop for RS Oct 2020 enabled by default

The preview feature regarding enhanced metadata has caused a lot of issues in the October version: Power BI Report Server October 2020 update has bee...

Several colleagues are asking how a preview feature can be turned on by default, like:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-October-2020-update-has-been-r...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-October-2020-update-has-been-r...

I agree with them: if it is turned on by default, it is not a preview feature. 
Now I'm missing an answer on the question how this will look like in the next version(s). Is the behaviour of the October version seen as a bug and will be reverted in January?

Thanks for a comment from Microsoft

Regards
Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Michael_Mertens  and @josef78 ,

I am sorry about the issues you have been facing and understand the frustration this might be causing. We are aware of two issues related to enhanced metadata:

- Servernames/Database names with mismatch casing in the same report causes failures during refresh: There is a workaround available to use the same casing in the report.

- Queries using Table.NestedJoin expression fails to refresh. No known current workaround (other than disabling the option of enhanced metadata). 

We currently are unaware of any other issues, if you are experiencing any problems that do not seem related to the above we would be interested in getting a repro report. The best channel for that would be to contact Microsoft support so you have the right contact to get updates and proper resolution, if you have a repro handy (e.g. a pbit file which would have no data) i'd appreciate if you could share so feel free to reach out with a private message.

Addressing your other point I just wanted to clarify that Power Bi Report Server does not support preview features. The fact that enhanced metadata is in the preview pane is mislabeling. This feature was generaly available as part of the september release of Power Bi Desktop (service), and subsequently in Power Bi Desktop (ReportServer) in october. Therefore you should expect the same support as any other production feature.

To your question on future releases. Enhanced metadata is the new format used by PBI Desktop going forward (it can't be disabled in the service version of desktop for example). The option to fallback to the previous format will be removed in a future release of Pbi Desktop for Report Server, at that point all reports will be saved only in the new format, the release where this will happen is still being determined but there is no plans to change the behavior to be disabled by default.

Thanks

-gboreki

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Michael_Mertens 

The latest version available now is November 2020, can you try installing it.

If my answer was helpful, please click Accept it as the solution to help other members find it useful

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

Website YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Fowmy we are talking about Power BI Desktop "RS" (optimized for Report Server) with last Release is October 2020 (with last build from 18th Nov).

In this version is a lot of issues related to EMF.

It's first initial preview release with EMF, this function is by default turnded on, and when is used in report is non-revertible. It's sounds as joke.

I also still waiting for any response from MS

Hi @Michael_Mertens  and @josef78 ,

I am sorry about the issues you have been facing and understand the frustration this might be causing. We are aware of two issues related to enhanced metadata:

- Servernames/Database names with mismatch casing in the same report causes failures during refresh: There is a workaround available to use the same casing in the report.

- Queries using Table.NestedJoin expression fails to refresh. No known current workaround (other than disabling the option of enhanced metadata). 

We currently are unaware of any other issues, if you are experiencing any problems that do not seem related to the above we would be interested in getting a repro report. The best channel for that would be to contact Microsoft support so you have the right contact to get updates and proper resolution, if you have a repro handy (e.g. a pbit file which would have no data) i'd appreciate if you could share so feel free to reach out with a private message.

Addressing your other point I just wanted to clarify that Power Bi Report Server does not support preview features. The fact that enhanced metadata is in the preview pane is mislabeling. This feature was generaly available as part of the september release of Power Bi Desktop (service), and subsequently in Power Bi Desktop (ReportServer) in october. Therefore you should expect the same support as any other production feature.

To your question on future releases. Enhanced metadata is the new format used by PBI Desktop going forward (it can't be disabled in the service version of desktop for example). The option to fallback to the previous format will be removed in a future release of Pbi Desktop for Report Server, at that point all reports will be saved only in the new format, the release where this will happen is still being determined but there is no plans to change the behavior to be disabled by default.

Thanks

-gboreki

Thank you, gboreki , for your detailed explanation. Especially the clarification regarding preview features in RS was helpful.

Hi @gboreki ,

Sorry, there is much more issues with EMF, e.g. connections issues (not for all exist workaround), table.nestedjoin, table.merge, netezza connector, direct query, duplicated mashup containters, and much more. Please read this forum. And next issues will probably come, because we are completely stopped using EMF, we not testing with EMF now, we must BAN to use EMF in my company, because we are now focusing how repair reports with this not revertible buggy EMF.

I do not agree, that "preview" is mislabeling. It is initial release of EMF in RS product cycle, it is big change because is completely brings new behavior for data sources, it is non revertible, it’s never has been tested with customers. In second public build is still many bugs. Independent on labeling in settings, in fact, it is initial preview.

I understand, we need new format to going forward, and I am very happy when Power BI is going forward. And Power BI RS is growing in production deployment, especially in large companies. Why is not used more sensitive approach, why is not added to October 2020 release as preview feature (by default turned off), in January release move out of preview and by default turned on, and maybe in future releases will be old format removed. It can give time to your customer, to test this new format, and can help to move Power BI forward as stable platform. Instead of this, customers now solving many production issues. In my case Power BI RS is use for many top management reports, and in his eyes now Power BI falling.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.