Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI report server to Power BI premium per user

Hi,

As you all know, that the Power BI premium per user is soon to be released in early April 2021.

We are using Report Server in our organization as we have a very few selective customers leveraging the Power BI reports. Could I please be advised on my following queries:

- What are the best steps to consider to have a transition from Power BI RS to the Power BI premium (per user)

- Do all the users in a company need to have Power BI premium (per user) to have access to the dashboards

- What costs do I need to consider to move from Power BI RS, other than the 20/per user/per month for Power BI premium (per user)

Thanks.

Regards,

Modasher.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

- What are the best steps to consider to have a transition from Power BI RS to the Power BI premium (per user)

It depends where the source data for your reports is stored and why you went with PBIRS in the first place (it's not cheap from a licensing perspective so there must have been other factors involved). If they are using on-prem data sources then you will need to setup some servers (either on-prem or in Azure) to host data gateways in order to be able to refresh your reports. Otherwise it should be a matter of re-publishing the reports to the PPU workspaces

@Anonymous wrote:

- Do all the users in a company need to have Power BI premium (per user) to have access to the dashboards

If the reports are stored in workspaces using the PPU capacity then yes, any user that wants to access those reports (or data coming from them) will require a PPU license.

@Anonymous wrote:

- What costs do I need to consider to move from Power BI RS, other than the 20/per user/per month for Power BI premium (per user)

If you need to run data gateways to access on-prem data sources the cost of those servers is the only other cost outside of the PPU license costs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DHaagenson
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I have the very same question. The answers were not clear to me. My question - Would we have to change from Report Server to PPU Workspaces to use Power BI Premium, if Power BI Premium is licened per users? Can't we use Power BI Premium, along with the Report Server.  We don't want to change this, but we want the more powerful development features. We want our users to be able to continue to use the license they have and not upgrade to Premium, which it seems they should be able to. We simply want the more powerful development features of Power BI Premium.  From what you've found out and set up do you believe this is possible?

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends where the source data for your reports is stored and why you went with PBIRS in the first place (it's not cheap from a licensing perspective so there must have been other factors involved). If they are using on-prem data sources then you will need to setup some servers (either on-prem or in Azure) to host data gateways in order to be able to refresh your reports. Otherwise it should be a matter of re-publishing the reports to the PPU workspaces

@Anonymous wrote:

If the reports are stored in workspaces using the PPU capacity then yes, any user that wants to access those reports (or data coming from them) will require a PPU license.

@Anonymous wrote:

If you need to run data gateways to access on-prem data sources the cost of those servers is the only other cost outside of the PPU license costs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information @d_gosbell 

So it seems, if we are using on premesis sources as primary, using Power BI Report Server should just be fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.