Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Power BI Server Security with imported mode

Being able to upload reports that are imported (even if not refreshable), is there anyway to manage granular security in the imported Power BI model, or

- would you have to manage it at the server level via a folder.  

- or manage it at the report level 

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Granular security in Power BI is handled by Row Level Security and you can do that on imported data models but I am not 100% certain that Report Server supports RLS. Also, last I checked Report Server didn't handle imported data models either but I think they released an update since I last checked. Originally it only supported live connections to SSAS cubes.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

hi @Greg_Deckler yes i know about RLS just not sure if it can be applied on report server, imported mode came out with the latest update.  Ie. you can view  imported reports in report server, however you need to update them in the deskop, so essentially report server is a repository without much functionality, but better than not havign it at all.

so maybe in a way that does answer my question.  Maybe you can do a template, and that would be a way of controlling it in a sql database with row level security but you would need to have a manual update for each role.   sounds like hard work!

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

The August 2017 Preview adds support for imported data but doesn't yet support the row-level security (RLS) feature over that imported data. Do submit that idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/category/207604-report-server

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.