Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SagarSalvi
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Report Server: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Server Too Busy..

Hi All,

We are using Power BI Report Server September 2022 (version - 1.15.8300.38452). We have a production server which is set up with large content of datasets and reports (which include RDL and PBIX reports). However recently we have started getting more of these "The request failed with HTTP status 503: Server Too Busy.." errors.

And this is not particular to any RDL or Dataset or PBIX report, its in general where we use reporting services service and APIs to communicate with report farm. Note that we cannot reproduce this issue consistently, its random. 

We checked report farm health and everything looks ok.  We have 3 web nodes and their CPU usage is well below 30% and Memory usage is below 75%. Refer the screenshot:

SagarSalvi_0-1691530275235.png

Found one forum talking about same issue but not sure that could be the cause of our issue:
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Report-Server/quot-Server-too-busy-quot-error-on-paginated...

It is difficult to find out cause of this issue because we do not see any errors related to this issue in reporting service logs.
Any help / pointers will be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisMuthmann
Resolver II
Resolver II

Same for me. You can force it by restarting PBIRS and using the web interface immediately after the restart. Or by deploying a large amount of pbix files and trying to set the permissions for these files. So we have included a 30 seconds wait in our deployment process before trying to set the permissions. This helps most of the time.

Thank you for your response @ChrisMuthmann 
Our customers are sharing PBI report farm so restrarting the service is not an option. This will make reporting unavailable to the other users / customers. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors