Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Power BI Report Server May 2023 has been Released!

We are pleased to announce the May 2023 update for Power BI Report Server.

The release can be found on the Microsoft Download Center

The changelog has been updated with the following information:

## May 2023

- **Power BI Report Server**

- *Version: 1.17.8546.6252(build 15.0.1112.41), Released: May 26, 2023*

- Features

- Introduced new Accessibility property that let report authors to add accessible headers to tables and Heading levels to text boxes

- Added ability to configure Cleanup Batch Size and Cleanup Max Limit

- Bug fixes

- Fixed issue with SAP Hana DQ Connection using integrated security in PBIX reports

- Fixed Web Service page localization problem

- Fixed issue with lack of permission on shared data source affecting loading of the containing folder

- Fixed back page navigator button for PBIX reports in Hebrew browser language

- Fixed slowness of Large MDX Query as an Expression

- Fixed compromised characters on Row Level Security setting page

- Fixed setting calendar days to a single day for monthly schedules

- **Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server)**  

- *Version: 2.117.984.0(May 2023), Released: May 26, 2023*  

- Support for May 2023 Power BI Report Server

- Bug fixes

One thing to highlight is the new accessibility options available to RDL reports with this release. With new versions of Power BI Report Builder users will be able to assign heading options to text boxes and control which rows are assigned table header values to increase screen reader experiences.

As always if you encounter an issue please contact support and/or create a new thread with as much detail as possible and tag @Petebro or @v-alipat. We will try to reply as quickly as possible.

35 REPLIES 35
washerk

Versions: Power BI Report Server September 2023 Release latest bits, Power BI Desktop for RS September 2023 release latest bits or Power BI Desktop for RS May 2023 release. 

Issue:  In the RS Portal when clicking the context menu to edit a PBIX via “Edit in Power BI Desktop", both the May 2023 and September 2023  Power BI Desktop for RS builds fail with generic error “Something went wrong”.

Detailed Error\Stack: 

Error Message: 

Server is not reachable  

Stack Trace: 

Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenException   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileOperationUIHandler.<OpenFileInternal>d__44.MoveNext() 

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- 

PowerBINonFatalError: 

{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.117.984.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"255"} 

Current Workaround:  

1. Download the PBIX locally and then open in Power BI Desktop for RS.   
  1. Open Power BI Desktop for RS locally and browse the Report Server for the PBIX you want to edit. Then save it back to the Report Server.    

washerk_0-1701995549496.png

washerk_1-1701995549497.png

Anyone else seeing this issue?

sitraa
Regular Visitor

Is this release include the Dynamic formatting on measures? The hosted/Cloud version of the Power BI added this new feature in April of 2023 release. We just upgraded to the May 2023 release of reporting server but I'm not seeing Dyanmic formatting as an option to choose under Format dropdown.

BigRob
Frequent Visitor

upgraded last week and yesterday the ASEngine stopped working and wont restart 

(9/14/2023 9:22:42 AM) Message: DLL 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.MInterop' loaded with version '16.0.77.22'. (Type: 1, Category: 289, Event ID: 0x41210038)
(9/14/2023 9:22:42 AM) Message: Transaction recovery successful (Type: 1, Category: 289, Event ID: 0x4121002A)
(9/14/2023 9:22:42 AM) Message: The flight recorder snapshot definition file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ASEngine\FlightRecorderSnapshotDef.xml' was not found, skipping initialization of snapshot activity. (Type: 1, Category: 289, Event ID: 0x41210021)
(9/14/2023 9:22:44 AM) Message: An error occurred at critical stage of transaction; we intercepted it, but have to terminate the process. (Type: 3, Category: 289, Event ID: 0xC1210058)

no error is logged as to why the process is terminated or how to restart it

Hi @BigRob

We've looked into your case, but unfortunatelly we were not able to reproduce the behavior.

We suggest you to try the new version of PBIRS (September release is planned by the end of the month) 

Then, if the issue still exists there for you, please contact official Microsoft support for further assistance. 

https://support.fabric.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ 

Thanks,

Alexandra 

EthanCai
Regular Visitor

When is it expected to add field parameter function? It's a good function for us.

tbennett93
Frequent Visitor

The information button under Manage/Scheduled Refresh/Status doesn't work since upgrading to this version.

Hi @tbennett93 ! 

Could you please clarify a bit more, what is the information button you mention? 

Thanks, 

Alexandra 

In the Power BI Report server. If you select 'Manage' on a report and click 'Scheduled Refresh', the window that is displayed shows the last refresh time and the status. If it fails, there is an 'I' (information) button. This used to display a popup textbox indicating the reason for failure, but now when it is pressed, nothing happens.

Thanks for the quick response, 

The issue doesn't repro in our test labs, and error message shows up as expected.. Maybe issue a little more specific, or transient? 

Have you tried other browsers? 

If it doesn't work in other browsers as well, could you please share for example which type of data source are you using in that report that you run a refresh on? 

It doesn't work in other browsers, I tried Chrome and Edge. I used SQL as the data source. The error was due to a failed connection, but I don't think that matters as that would just be the contents of the popup

ChrisMuthmann
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi  @Petebro ,

conditional formatting by text is a great feature.

But it is working only if you do not have a legend.

It would be great to use the data in the legend for formatting, too. So you can give each line a different colour for the last three years automatically. At the moment we have to edit the dashboard at the beginning of the year to change the color for the three last years to our standard colors. In the calendar dimension we have a column for 'Current Year', 'Previous Year' and 'Two Years Ago' which we would like to use in this context. This works fine, when the year is on the x-axis, but not when it is in the legend.

Kind regards,

Christoph

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Petebro ,

I think there is a problem/bug in this release, that can be critical in large/heavily loaded environments.

Under high load and after some runtime, the RSPortal process periodically crashes, first with an immediate restart and later in the day with a long delay when the Power BI portal is unavailable (with error 503).

More details is in this topic:

Re: Issue: Power BI RS May 2023 release - Child Pr... - Microsoft Fabric Community

I will rise ticket soon (when I find out how), but this way is probably more faster.

Please, can you help check this issue?

UPDATE:

Workaround is provided in mentioned topic.

mpsrshl
Advocate II
Advocate II

Has anyone had issues with the desktp tool freezing when opening a dashboard? 

eduardosh

After updating the RS version in May 2023, an error that happened in 2021 came back:
Several errors occured durung data refresh. Please try again later or contact
your administrator

SessionID: f365ecb7-85fe-48e0-8c7e-c407daba9bb8
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource serverXXX;dbXXXX is not found..
[1] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource serverXXX;dbXXXX is not found..
[2] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
I try to run it manually and after several attempts it updates
Any idea what it is?

Hello @eduardosh

Could you please share some more detail about your scenario? 

What type of data source is used here? 

Is it only one data source that throws the error for you? 

Did you upgrade from January 2023, or any other version? Did it work smoothly in the previous version you used? 

Thanks,

Alexandra 

Hi, Alexandra.

I was using version 15.0.1110.120 (2022) and I didn't get this error.
After updating to version 15.0.1112.41 (May 2023) intermittent error started to occur.
The report uses data from the sql server 2017 database.
Error:
SessionID: f365ecb7-85fe-48e0-8c7e-c407daba9bb8
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource dbxxx;databasexxx is not found..
[1] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource dbxxx;databasexxx is not found..
[2] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
"Status:
Several errors occurred during data refresh. Please try again later
or contact your administrator."

When manually clicking "Update now" several times, it ends up working after several attempts.
"Status: Completed Data Refresh"

Thank you.

AndrewatPMPC

Hello, I've noticed that there was no MSI type desktop installer included with the downloads for this relase of PowerBI RS. Will there be an MSI of this release, or has the EXE installer replaced it entirely?

The Power BI desktop installer .exe has replaced the .msi for PBI Desktop (both for RS and for Service). This will be the new normal going forward.

Thank you for the confirmation!

prady2581
Helper I
Helper I

Is the latest version of Power BI Desktop optimized for the May'22 Report version compatible with the new Microsoft Co-Pilot feature?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.