Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

duhast2017
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server Evaluation/Developer Editions

Power BI Report Server is available in two free editions:
- Evaluation (180 days)
and
- Developer.

1) What is the difference between them?
2) Is there any technical limitation comparing to the production edition?

8 REPLIES 8
AndersC
Regular Visitor

When using PBI Report Server Evaluation edition, doesn't changes in the web.config then takes effect?

I'm trying to add maxRequestLength="8192" to web.config cause I have one huge SSRS rdl-report (7 Mb). 

Default value of the property maxRequestLength is 4 Mb.

@AndersC wrote:

When using PBI Report Server Evaluation edition, doesn't changes in the web.config then takes effect?

There should not be any issues changing this in the web.config. The Evaluation edition is fully functional, it just expires after 180 days.

Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Same product, same features, just different licenses. 

@Jon-Heide wrote:

Same product, same features, just different licenses. 

Jon-Heide, thank you for your answer!
a) Could you please tell, what is the difference between Evaluation and Developer licenses?

b) Also as I understood, there is no technical limitation comparing to the production edition, correct?

Hi @duhast2017,

1. The Evaluation will expired after 180 days. And the Developer can't be used for business purpose. 

2. Both Evaluation and Developer provide same technical features. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Can you please define the " Business purpose"  ?

Business Purpose means production environment. I think to clarify this means to use PBIRS to deliver reports and/or data to end users with production data. The developer edition can be used to develop reports in a development environment, this reports can be moved up to a production environment that has the appropriate production environment licensing.

What happens after it expires? What are the options?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.