Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Builder Error

I have a report which I've transitioned to Power BI Report Builder from Report Builder 3.0. I've set everything up the same as it was on Report Builder 3.0 with the exclusion of a dsDefaultDates dataset. Originally they wanted it from the beginning of the previous month to the end of that month to now wanting it to cover the last years worth of new accounts. (See queries below) Unfortunately, when I hit "Run"...the first page shows up just fine, but then if you keep scrolling or hit the arrow to go to the next page; I get an error, "An error occurred during local reporting processing".  Is there a log file somewhere which can provide me a bit more of a detailed reason as to the cause of the error?Power_BI_RB_Error.PNG

Report Builder 3.0 dsDefaultDates dataset query:

select

trunc(trunc(sysdate,'MM')-1,'MM') StartDate,

trunc(sysdate,'MM')-1 StopDate

from dual

Power BI Report Builder dsDefaultDates dataset query:

select
trunc(sysdate)-366 StartDate,
trunc(sysdate)-1 StopDate
from dual;

Power BI Report Builder Installed Version: 15.6.1628.2

5 REPLIES 5
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

To look at these errors I usually deploy/upload the report to a local PBIRS instance and then run it. The PBIRS

locally logs it in PBIRS logs in detail and I am able to see the actual issue there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

jeypowell10_0-1628084953471.png

When I published to my PBIRS, I received this error when it tried to load. A much more clear error of what's going on. 

Within my query to get new accounts (which hits my Oracle DB), it is this part which ties back in to the dsDefaultDate dataset which adds the Start and Stop date parameters:

A.CONTRACTDATE >= :pStartDate AND
A.CONTRACTDATE < :pStopDate

I also altered my dsDefaultDates query to the below to give me the newest of accounts as of the previous day to the same time last year. It runs in Oracle Developer but the date format is different.

select
trunc(trunc(sysdate,'DD')-366, 'DD') StartDate,
trunc(sysdate, 'DD')-1 StopDate
from dual;

When I had the first page loaded initially in PBI Report Builder (before I try to go to the next page and receive the initial error), the dates look to be in a correct format for Oracle.

jeypowell10_1-1628085225756.png

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

What are the other queries and datasets that you are using?

Make sure that all queries working properly and returning all columns that are being used in the report.

Are you using Table/Matrix in the report while going to the next page?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two Datasets which hit Oracle SQL Developer and then 3 others which hit SSMS. I did use the "Table or Matrix Wizard" initially to build my report and connect my first Data Source and Dataset (both Oracle SQL Developer) before manually adding my Data Source which hits SSMS and then the Data Sets which use the SSMS Data Source. I've confirmed all queries run independently of each other. I also logged onto my etl server (where the original report is being ran from) and can flip through pages without any issues.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

This error does not have a specific fix, please check the follow links to understand the error and detect the causes.

How to Fix Object Reference Not Set to an Instance of an Object? (minitool.com)

Object reference not set to an instance of an object (microsoft.com)

reporting services - SSRS Object reference not set to an instance of an object - Stack Overflow

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.