Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vickar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI RS Desktop stuck at Evaluating Query for Custom SQL Query

I am importing data from  Oracle DB, when I connect to base tables from the source, I am able to successfully load data into PBI RS Desktop.
But when I write custom sql code, I am able to see the data in Power Query Window, the moment I hit apply to load the data into the model, PBI RS Desktop gets stuck at Load(Evaluating) for ever.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. I had installed ODAC 19 earlier due to which I was facing this issue. Microsoft Power BI Support Team recommended to uninstall it and install the ODAC 12 version. And it worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jaweher899
Super User
Super User

There could be a few reasons why your custom SQL query is causing Power BI Report Server to get stuck at the "Load(Evaluating)" stage.

First, make sure that your SQL query is syntactically correct and does not contain any errors. You can check this by running the query directly in Oracle SQL Developer or another SQL tool and making sure that it returns the expected results.

Next, check the size and complexity of the data being returned by your query. If the query is returning a large amount of data or contains complex calculations, it may take a long time to load into the Power BI model. In this case, you may want to consider optimizing your query or breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

Another possible issue is related to the data types and formatting of the data being returned by your query. Make sure that the data types match the expected values in your Power BI model, and that any dates or other formatted data is properly formatted to be recognized by Power BI.

Finally, you may want to check the performance of your system and network connection to ensure that there are no bottlenecks or issues that are causing the slow load times. If your network connection is slow or there are other issues with your system, it can cause Power BI Report Server to become unresponsive or slow to load data.

If none of these solutions work, you may want to contact Power BI support or your IT department for further assistance. They may be able to help you identify and troubleshoot any issues that are causing the slow load times.

I am able to see the query results in Power Query window, and for testing purposes, I am using a simple SELECT statement with 10 rows only.

I've also opened a support ticket with Microsoft. 

was there a solution to this one?

Yes. I had installed ODAC 19 earlier due to which I was facing this issue. Microsoft Power BI Support Team recommended to uninstall it and install the ODAC 12 version. And it worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.