Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Denybhow
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I have installed Power BI desktop RS January 2023 and the SSMS 19.0.2

I get an error message "We're not able to upload this report. The report was created with a recent version of

Power BI Desktop that is not yet supported by this server."

I can see that some people had this issue in 2020 but I could not find a solution.

Do I need to install an earlier version of Power BI desktop? or does anyone have a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I created a new report using Power desktop BI RS and it worked, I must have used the non RS version and then opened it with the RS version and thats why it wouldn't work.

Thank you so much mate you're a top dude.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Denybhow
Regular Visitor

Hi thanks for the reply, I did think of installing an earlier version of power bi desktop but all the links I have tried take me to the newest version download link. I am using SSMS 19.0.2 and I don't know were to get a link for the desktop version that matches that.

The SSMS version is totally unrelated to Report Server. You need to go to your Report Server portal then check the server version there using the Help > About dialog

d_gosbell_0-1679953191064.png

Oh thanks for that but I am now even more confused as the report server and the desktop are both Jan 2023.

Desktop.PNGReport server.PNG

Was the report created in Power BI Desktop for RS Jan 2023 - or was it created in a different version of desktop? If you do a "save as" with a different name and upload that new file does it work?

So I created a new report using Power desktop BI RS and it worked, I must have used the non RS version and then opened it with the RS version and thats why it wouldn't work.

Thank you so much mate you're a top dude.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

What version of Report Server are you running? If it is a version earlier than Jan 2023 then you should install the version of desktop that matches the server. See here for possible ways of getting your report into the older version of desktop if required Power BI Report Server – fixing “Can’t upload this report” – Random Procrastination (gosbell.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.