Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DouglasABailey
Advocate I
Advocate I

PBIRS: Could not load folder contents. Something went wrong. Please try again later.

Having just upgraded from PBIRS 2017 to Jan 2023 Build 15.0.1111.115,

I find that non-admin users get this error on the Home folder and other folders that contain .rsmobile reports:

"Could not load folder contents. Something went wrong. Please try again later."

With all due respect, this error is most unhelpful. Server logs suggest an authentication error but through must trial and eventually good fortune I discovered that the error only happens in folders that contain .rsmobile reports.

I know that .rsmobile report suport was removed in Sep 2022. (A premature removal since I can't practically pass =username() as a parameter to SQL Server in Direct Queries.) 

So I knew I would have to delete the .rsmobile reports eventually, but would you believe it, as Admin, I click on the ellipsis on an .rsmobile report and I get this error:  "An error has occurred. Something went wrong. Please try again later."

@Petebro I figured you'd want to be aware of this because I expect more upgraders will encouter it in future.

My options appear to be: 

1) Downgrade the server: Impossible I believe. 

2) Access the ReportServer/ReportServerTempDB databases and remove the reports through there. Wish me luck.

3) Using my PBIRS database backups from the earlier version*, restore them to an RS instance of an earlier version, delete the  .rsmobile reports, then upgrade. *And loose my current work on new PBI Mobile reports.

If anyone has other ideas, I'm open. 

PS: This is not simply a Manage Folder > Security issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Petebro
Employee
Employee

Totally understand the frustration, and I want to thank you for such a detailed description. Let me do some investigation and I'll get back to you on best options. 

If you had a backup of the DB pre-upgrade the best option would be to:

1. Restore that DB
  2. connect it to an older instance of PBIRS
  3. Do the delete of all RSMobile reports then upgrade again

obviously you'd lose current work, but you should be able to save off PBIX reports locally and upload them to the new instance. 

Before doing anything to the catalog directly backup your reportserver catalog and tempdb

**** This is unsupported and might have unintended consequences ****

The other option you might try is to change the types of the mobile reports to resouces in the catalogs table. I believe their type will be 12, so you could find them like this:

SELECT TOP (1000) [ItemID]
,[Name]
,[Type]
FROM [ReportServer].[dbo].[Catalog]
where type = 12

Changing this type column value to 3 would have your server treat them like resouces (how PBIRS would treat .txt files), and will hopefully allow you to remove them. Again back up your catalog because this might not clean up all parts of the mobile report in the catalog.

In the meantime I'll look for the real solution for you and other customers that might face this issue in the future.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Petebro
Employee
Employee

Totally understand the frustration, and I want to thank you for such a detailed description. Let me do some investigation and I'll get back to you on best options. 

If you had a backup of the DB pre-upgrade the best option would be to:

1. Restore that DB
  2. connect it to an older instance of PBIRS
  3. Do the delete of all RSMobile reports then upgrade again

obviously you'd lose current work, but you should be able to save off PBIX reports locally and upload them to the new instance. 

Before doing anything to the catalog directly backup your reportserver catalog and tempdb

**** This is unsupported and might have unintended consequences ****

The other option you might try is to change the types of the mobile reports to resouces in the catalogs table. I believe their type will be 12, so you could find them like this:

SELECT TOP (1000) [ItemID]
,[Name]
,[Type]
FROM [ReportServer].[dbo].[Catalog]
where type = 12

Changing this type column value to 3 would have your server treat them like resouces (how PBIRS would treat .txt files), and will hopefully allow you to remove them. Again back up your catalog because this might not clean up all parts of the mobile report in the catalog.

In the meantime I'll look for the real solution for you and other customers that might face this issue in the future.

Thank you! First, I have realised I left off what could be a key detail. 

Technically we didn't 'upgrade'. We set up the new PBIRS on a new server and we Restored databases to that machine. So we didn't follow the 'Upgrade' path detailed here (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/upgrade) and it looks like we missed key catalouge updates. 

I will, as you suggest, export the reports I have worked on and save them locally. Then I will restart the process with an earlier version of the RS software and take it through the Upgrade process. 

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors