Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

niallhannon
Helper II
Helper II

October version Reportserver not refreshing on a schedule?

I have "Version 1.1.6514.9163 (October 2017)" Power BI Reportserver and have set up a scheduled refresh on a power bi report.

The schedule seems to execute as I can see it happening in the logs (and no errors shown in the logs) but the data on the report hasnt refreshed. If I manually "refresh" the datasource of the report then the data is refreshed ok

Anyone experiencing this issue?

Is the data for the power bi report refreshed into the ReportServer database or held elsewhere? What tables does it go into on the ReportServer DB ?

6 REPLIES 6
stretcharm
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I would expect the cachced data to be stored in files, but not sure where.

Query Exection log view in your report db should show the main activities but the logs show more details. I can also see a trace file in my log folder that may help.

SELECT *
  FROM [PBIReportServer].[dbo].[ExecutionLog3]
  order by TimeStart desc

Is your SQL Server Agent running? Check the activty monitor as all schedules show under the category Report Server wth a GUID name.

I can see the data in the underlying tables has been refreshed but the data in the report has not.

The scheduled refresh on the power bi reportserver is executing and i can see that in the logs on the server and also in the executionlog table of the reportserver.

Strange that no one else is seeing this behaviour? I cant even find an error anywhere to work from.

ok think I found it. I had created the report using the Power BI Desktop but there is another Power BI Desktop specifically for reportserver (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55330)

So I saved the report using that and then uploaded it and set a schedule and it just refreshed ok from a scheduled refresh.

Strange that no errors or warnings were shown when using the other desktop tool but that seems to be the issue.

Well spotted. Yes it should warn you somewhere if youve not loaded it from the correct version.

The first release of report server didn't let you so I knew that it needed a special version.

I didn't expect it to let you get this far.

This is strange. The report doesnt seem to refresh its data actually.

I ran a refresh on it yesterday and it was fine, and overnight after a scheduled refresh it is now showing old data. Is there some sort of caching going on?

Even when I edit the report I can see the old data but the report scehdule says it refreshed this morning ok. And the source data it should be pulling in is more uptodate.

Very odd.

Maybe try resetting by createing a template from your pbix the adding as a new document into Report Server. See if this has the same issues.

I put a little query into my docs to show when the data was refreshed on the dashboard.

SELECT SYSTEM_USER as CurrentUser, @@SERVERNAME as Server, GetDate() as RefreshTime

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.