Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Steffe
Helper I
Helper I

Oct 2020 Memory problem - Number of Mashup containers

Hi,

We have 2 test servers. One running PBIRS October 2020 (latest build) and one running May 2020.

We are seeing a difference on the amount of RAM used and the number of active Machup containers (Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40.exe) in use while doing schedule refresh on the same report.

The server takes some more memory and uses ¨18 Mashup containers on Oct 2020 version while only using 6 Mashup containers on May version. The PBRS service also crashes on oct 2020 when running schedule refresh on this report.

Both servers has 32 GB RAM and 4 logical cores of the same type (Xeon E5-2697). 

Is this a configuration??

Is this a known issue in PBIRS oct 2020?

Oct 2020:

May 2020:

PE May 2020.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Steffe
Helper I
Helper I

I tried to add this picture to the first post, but I coundn´t. This is what it looks lite in oct 2020.

PE Oct 2020 2.JPG

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Is it same version of reports (on both saved from May2020 desktop)? Or on Oct2020 PBIRS are re-saved from new version of Oct 2020 PBI Desktop?

There is important if it is with "Enhanced Metadata format" enabled option, because there many issues with this new mashup format.

Hi,

Yes, both where saved from May Desktop.

I did some more testing now, but opened the old report and saved it from latest October Desktop (2.86.1321.0 64-bit)

Test 1 – With checkbox “Store datasets using enhanced metadata format.” ticked.

Using latest version of Power BI Desktop Report server (2.86.1321.0 64-bit (oktober 2020)) with “enhanced metadata” ticked.

Open old report. Change something.

Save to report server.

Create and run schedule-refresh.

I can see that it first starts plenty of mashup-containers then a few seconds later the refresh fails with the following message:

“The credentials provided for the Folder source are invalid”

Steffe_0-1608018514077.png

Test 2 – With checkbox “Store datasets using enhanced metadata format.” unticked.

Using latest version of Power BI Desktop Report server (2.86.1321.0 64-bit (oktober 2020)) with “enhanced metadata” unticked.

Open the old report and change something.

Save to report server.

Create and run schedule-refresh.

Service crashes/restarts as with May desktop.

Plenty of mashup containers:

process expl okt 2020 old model.jpg

@josef78 Any idesas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.