Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Akircher
Frequent Visitor

New to Power Bi and Paginated Reports

Hello I am new to Power Bi and Paginated reports. I mostly use excel and python pandas for data anlysis.  At my job I have been asked to make a paginated report off a shared report.  When I open the report in Power Bi desktop the only side tab that I have is the report tab and do not have access to the data or model tab (the only reason I am menting this is because I am not sure if it is relevant). 

I noticed that some of the data I need to work with is stored as an implicit measure in Power BI Desktop and when I open it in Paginated reports it changes it to a table instead of a measure. I found out that I am suppose to convert this to an explict meausre for it to appear in measures. However, I also found out you can use Desktop Performance Anlyzer and copy the DAX into the query designer.  

I am trying to figure out why I can post the DAX that works with implicit measures and the table will produce results but when I try to put the implict measure (now a table object) into the report table builder as a value it does not.  Why can the DAX work with implict values in Report builder while the query designer struggles? I guess I feel lost because I am realitively new to this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I'm not really sure I'm understanding what you are doing so maybe it will help if we define some terms. 

Power BI Desktop will create an implicit measure when you drag a column onto a visual in a location that requires an aggregate value. For example if you drag a "Product Category" and a "Sales Amount" column onto a visual Power BI Desktop will usually create an implied measure over the numeric "Sales Amount" column. This will typically be a small part of the query that you copy from Performance Analyzer. So if your table is called "Sales", the default implied measure would be:

SUM( Sales[Sales Amount] )

You could right-click on your table in Power BI Desktop and create an explicit measure called "Total Sales" by adding the following expression:

Total Sales = SUM( Sales[Sales Amount] )

If you do this you will now have an explicit measure which you can reference in both Power BI Desktop and in Report Builder. Most implied measures just do a simple aggregation over a single column like SUM / AVERAGE / MIN / MAX / COUNT / etc.

If you copy a query out of the Performance Analyzer pane what you will get is not just the implicit measure but a complete query that returns a resultset that can be many rows (maybe this is why you are talking about the measure turning into a table?). A DAX query which returns a tabular resultset will contain the EVALUATE keyword, you cannot use this keyword within a measure.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I'm not really sure I'm understanding what you are doing so maybe it will help if we define some terms. 

Power BI Desktop will create an implicit measure when you drag a column onto a visual in a location that requires an aggregate value. For example if you drag a "Product Category" and a "Sales Amount" column onto a visual Power BI Desktop will usually create an implied measure over the numeric "Sales Amount" column. This will typically be a small part of the query that you copy from Performance Analyzer. So if your table is called "Sales", the default implied measure would be:

SUM( Sales[Sales Amount] )

You could right-click on your table in Power BI Desktop and create an explicit measure called "Total Sales" by adding the following expression:

Total Sales = SUM( Sales[Sales Amount] )

If you do this you will now have an explicit measure which you can reference in both Power BI Desktop and in Report Builder. Most implied measures just do a simple aggregation over a single column like SUM / AVERAGE / MIN / MAX / COUNT / etc.

If you copy a query out of the Performance Analyzer pane what you will get is not just the implicit measure but a complete query that returns a resultset that can be many rows (maybe this is why you are talking about the measure turning into a table?). A DAX query which returns a tabular resultset will contain the EVALUATE keyword, you cannot use this keyword within a measure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors