Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

flpsblk

May 2023 version Power BI Server?

Hello,

I would like to ask when the new version of Power BI Server will be available. Unfortunately, my colleagues in the company have created reports in the latest desktop version, which is not compatible with the January version of Power BI Server.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
pabeader
Post Patron
Post Patron

Desktop and Report Server are not usually compatable.  You can get them to mostly work together, but they are different things.

@pabeader wrote:

Desktop and Report Server are not usually compatable.  You can get them to mostly work together, but they are different things.

To be more specific the "cloud" version of desktop which is the default one most people use is not usually compatible with Report Server. But each time a version of Report Server is released there is a specific matching version of Power BI Desktop "optimized" for that version of the server. If you use the version of desktop which matches your report server you should not run into any issues.

You can easily find the matching version of desktop using the download link in the top right corner of your report server portal.

To avoid such confusion Desktop Optimized for Report Server should be referenced as DesktopRS.  At least that seems less confusing.

rmoura

Hello, I am also waiting for this version to be able to continue publishing several of our company's enhancements that are currently stopped on my local machine due to this update.

mpsrshl
Advocate II
Advocate II

You will not be surprised at the lack of things each update has. Dissapointing. Still, I look forward to whatever they release. 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It's due this month. Report Server is updates are released in Jan, May and Sep each year. So it should be out in a week or two.

I also have some techniques here which may help getting your colleagues reports working in the Jan release https://darren.gosbell.com/2022/10/power-bi-report-server-fixing-cant-upload-this-report/ 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.