Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incremental Referesh in Report Server

Dear community, 

I need your help. 

How can I set an incremental Refresh with power bi Desktop (reports server version January 2020) ?

I need to call a dataset for 12 months of data and keep the last month updated. It means I don't need to refresh the whole dateset every time I want to see the latest updates. 

How can I do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous - Looks like it is not available in Report Server so probably the RS version of the Desktop has this disabled.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Incremental-Refresh-in-Report-Server/td-p/659808

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mhasler
Frequent Visitor

Just checking in to see if incremental refresh is supported in a more recent than Jan 2020 version of report server?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if this helps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-incremental-refresh

https://radacad.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-incremental-refresh-in-power-bi-load-changes-only

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler Thank you for the reply. 

When I right-click on my table in the query editor, there is no "Incremental Refresh" on the menu. 

I even check the file>options>setting. There not an option there as well.

@Anonymous - Looks like it is not available in Report Server so probably the RS version of the Desktop has this disabled.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Incremental-Refresh-in-Report-Server/td-p/659808

Latest book!:

@Anonymous - Hmmm, perhaps incremental refresh is not supported with Report Server, let me do some digging. 

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler  in RADACAD it is written that it not supported, but the post is for last year June. 

I was thinking maybe with the last Desktop version (January 2020) it will be added. But apparently not. I just need to make sure.

If really Incremental Refresh is not supported in Report Server, this is a huge BUG !!!! 

There are so many disappointments when it comes to report server, like not being able to pass the parameters to the dataset, like the way we did in the Report Builder. 🙄

Hi @Anonymous ,

I wouldn't say that this is a bug If you like to have a incremental refresh may be you switch to SSAS as datasource. With this you can do a incremental refresh but a little bit diffrent from the one in Power BI :).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

dear @KBO

Thank you for your reply. You are totally right, it is supported in SSAS. But when there is no Analysis Services available in the project/company level, you have no option but stick to what you can do with what you have 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors