Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wellf100
Helper I
Helper I

Import hangs after upgrading to Sept 21

Hi, I've upgraded to Sept 21 desktop 64bit RS version and now I cannot refresh any of my data sources.  It hangs on the "Creating Connection in Model" screen.   

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the May 21 version but this won't even open.....it gives an error on the splash screen.    Same for both 64bit and 32 bit version.   I've tried deleting the Power BI Desktop folder in AppData folder but it doesn't help.  

So i am completely stuck.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @wellf100  @pabeader  @josef78 

I have communicated with the Product Team, and this issue is working on a fix. Please wait patiently and I will post any updates here in time. Thanks for your understanding!

Update:Fix released ,Please download the latest version.

Download Microsoft Power BI Report Server- September 2021 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40

Hi, there's no improvement for me.  I'm able to refresh the query preview in the Query editor and I'm able to import in Excel using Power Query but in PBI it just hangs at the Creating Connection in model window.

Hi, @wellf100  @pabeader  @josef78 

I have communicated with the Product Team, and this issue is working on a fix. Please wait patiently and I will post any updates here in time. Thanks for your understanding!

Update:Fix released ,Please download the latest version.

Download Microsoft Power BI Report Server- September 2021 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,

Hi @v-janeyg-msft ,

Is there any progress?

-Issue in Power BI Desktop RS is still here.

-There is nothing new in change log https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog

-Installation file of PBI Desktop RS is without change, and still with same version

-Only Power BI Report Server (not desktop) is updated

@josef78 @pabeader 

There is no specific ETA now. I will update on the post if there is news, Please be patient. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

How much longer?  Not know if I'm actually processing rows is getting to be a burden.

i can also confirm that Aug 21, Sept 21 and Oct 21 standard Desktop latest versions work fine.  it's just Report Server version thats still doesn't.

@wellf100 

RS desktop was indeed updated a few days ago.

vjaneygmsft_0-1636360929658.png

hello janey, yes on the 4th Nov, and i tried downloading and installing but it hasn't solved our problems.  Still the same.  

• Direct connection works fine
  • Any existing report refreshed hangs at "Creating Connection in Model"
  • Any new import mode connection hangs at "Creating Connection in Model"
  • I can create the query and view preview results in Query Editor but when applying and the full import runs it hangs. 
  • Same for others in my company
  • Sometimes when i cancel the import after waiting for ages for ages on the creating connection in model window, it runs an "SQLDUMPER.exe" program.
  • I uninstalled and tried to reinstall May21 RS version.  After install when i try to open May21 RS version it gives an error and crashes so we have no choice but to use one of the PBI Desktop standard versions.
  •  

wellf100_0-1636360990728.png

Thanks

Richard

Hi, @wellf100 

I test in my machine and use the below version, connect a excel file and no problems occurred. Are you connected to a database?

vjaneygmsft_0-1636365736191.png

i've tried excel, SQL db and Analysis Services cube connections and it's the same for all.  I can connect to all through Power Query in Excel fine.  So it's definately a PBI problem but i can't tell if it's something specifically to do with the windows/laptop set up in our environment or a PBI bug.  But  it is ok in standard PBI dektop, Aug, Sept, Oct versions so seems something specific to RS version.   

@wellf100 

Forum support has limitations, because I can’t reproduce your problem, so I can’t report the issue.

I think the best course of action is to follow up with support since it will require environment specific information and I don't want you to have to publically disclose that here on the community section.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-janeyg-msft ,

yes, this issues is present for database connection (for me).

Support link is not usable, it is for cloud Power BI (there is similar issue already solved), this issue is related to Power BI Desktop optimized for Report Server (onpremise)

good to know it's not just us!

Still same problem...
What more, installation binnary is not changed, there no any change (description on download page is updated, but downloaded installation file is unchanged...

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

wellf100
Helper I
Helper I

hi, it's the same for other users across the company.  I believe it's a bug in the Sept Report Server version.   

I'm able to use the Aug 21 standard version but this isn't optimized for Report Server.

Hi, @wellf100 

Please refer to this link, we have reported similar issues, but they are desktop version, not report server desktop version. You can check for updates at any time.

Stuck at Creating Connection Model - Page 5 - Microsoft Power BI Community

Since I can't reproduce your scene on my device, if you can share the screenshot of the error message, I will help you report the issue of report server.

Best Regards,

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @wellf100 

Can you try to open and refresh your pbix file with the September version on another device? This can rule out whether it is a computer problem.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If problem still persists, pls let me know.

Best Regards,

hi, it is the same on other computers

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.