Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BI_Analyticz
Helper V
Helper V

How to config proxy to enable Power BI Report Server for accessing cloud datasets -MS Project Online

Friends, I am preparing a dashboard for MS Project Online data which I believe a cloud datasource. Successfully completed creating the dashboard but unable to refresh the report from Power BI On-Premise Report Server since internet connection is not allowed in our Power BI Prod server.

1. Error Message: OData: Request failed: Unable to connect to the remote server
  2. Contacted my server team - They said that they cannot configure system wide proxy due to security issues and they are asking if we can setup proxy for this specific application - Power BI Report Server?
  3. May I know the right approach to setup proxy or to connect to cloud datasources from PBI On-Prem report server.

Kindly help.... 😞 

8 REPLIES 8
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BI_Analyticz ,

To my knowledge, this is not supported in Power BI Report Server. You can post your idea on Power BI Ideas forum. It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Power BI.

Here is a document about Configuring Power BI Report Server with Azure Application Proxy, but the aim is to access Power BI Report Server reports from client browsers and be protected by Azure Active Directory (AD) when users are away from the corporate network.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

you mean it is not possible to create reports for cloud data sources from Power BI On Prem Report Server?

Hi @BI_Analyticz ,

You can connect to cloud data sources in Power BI Desktop Optimized for Power BI Report Server.

But when you publish the report to Power BI Report Server, it is not supported to configure scheduled refresh for most of them. In other words, they are not supported in Power BI Report Server.

You can check the list of supported data sources in Power BI Report Serve here:

Power BI report data sources in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @Icey My datasource is MS Project Online and I used ODataFeed. As per the above link ODataFeed scheduled refresh is possible in on-prem report server and all 4 types of authentication is accepeted for model refresh. But I am able to refresh it in power bi desktop and when I tried the same in report server using windows authentication it is not accepting and says wrong ID / Password.

@Icey any suggestions for the above please

BI_Analyticz
Helper V
Helper V

Guys any ideas please

Friends, I am preparing a dashboard for MS Project Online data which I believe a cloud datasource. Successfully completed creating the dashboard but unable to refresh the report from Power BI On-Premise Report Server since internet connection is not allowed in our Power BI Prod server.

1. Error Message: OData: Request failed: Unable to connect to the remote server
  2. Contacted my server team - They said that they cannot configure system wide proxy due to security issues and they are asking if we can setup proxy for this specific application - Power BI Report Server?
  3. May I know the right approach to setup proxy or to connect to cloud datasources from PBI On-Prem report server.

Kindly help....

Hi BI_Analyticz,

You should try to set the Proxy settings directly in the user on the virtual machine, which runs the Power BI Report Server Configuration Manager. The user you set as Service Account should connect to the Server and set your Proxy Settings in Settings --> Network & Internet --> Proxy.

After you log out, restart the Server.

Then the Report Server should get access to through the Proxy. 

If you use the virtual account as Service Account, create an User-Account which you may use.

Good luck and kind regards! 🙂

Patrick Struwe

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.