Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LHP-Luke
Frequent Visitor

Hosting a Power Bi Report for Local Network Access Without Active Directory

Hello all,

I am developing a Power Bi report in an on-prem environment with extremely limited network access. (Internal network only)

I am testing my website on a Windows computer but in the future it will be running on a Raspberry Pi in a Kiosk format. (Raspberry OS)

I have generated an embedded report with the dropdown option "embed" with the format:

http://xx.xxx.xxx.xx:9090/Reports/powerbi/Dashboard/Main_Dashboard?rs:embed=true

And my Web Service URL is setup as well:

LHPLuke_1-1677267073345.png

When I try to access that link on a Windows machine, I am met with the Windows login prompt:

LHPLuke_0-1677266931235.png

And when I try to load it on my Raspberry Pi, it simply doesn't work.

How can I authenticate users automatically in some way? I cannot use Azure, as everything has to be on-prem.

I think because I can't use Azure, then I can't use the "Reporting Services Custom Security Sample for Power BI Report Server" code that a lot of people recommend for this purpose.

I just want to embed the link into a Javascript based website and have it show up.

No login prompts, everything local to the network.

Is this possible?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

That possibly means that the browser on the Pi is not responding to the NTLM authentication prompts.

The authentication providers supported by Report Server are documented here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/authentication-with-the-report-ser... 

@LHP-Luke wrote:

I think because I can't use Azure, then I can't use the "Reporting Services Custom Security Sample for Power BI Report Server" code that a lot of people recommend for this purpose.

No, you can definitely use the custom authentication without Azure and it would probably be a reasonable option in your scenario.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Kudoed Authors