Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Banquo

Extranet Portal BI/SSRS for delivery for multiple branded User/Groups. Possible? Wait for it? Nope?

Depending on who I talk to I'm told this is anywhere from easy to impossible, so I figured I'd ask people in the trenches to give me a real take on this...

I have a business that has metrics & requirements for reports to be delivered to internal personnel (Yay BI works perfect here no complaints Man Very Happy).

But here's the rub...
Part of my business is the management of inventory, purchasing and sales, and distribution *On behalf* of my customers.
They in turn require similar metrics to be delivered to them via my extranet portal.

SQL based WMS/ERP so easy data in/out.
I currently have users authenticate into a portal, then I deliver .aspx pages with customer specific queries/views delivered on the pages. (it's not pretty but it gets the job done) Custom user/group/permissions mgmt pages (all standalone, not tied into AD or any other authentication source) Users have no self serve options at all.

I *want* to setup the following:

Customer A. Authenticates into.. web portal and sees powerBI/SSRS reports Branded for their business. They see canned reports that are all keyed on their customer number in our system (Inventory, shipped orders, invoices, credits, returns etc..), self service reports (inventory, add part number filter, add date range etc..) all restricted by their customer number/login of course, and custom reports that they would engage us to write for them) Self Serve password reset with authentication, self serve user/group/permissions management within their data.

Customer B. does the same thing but all branded and keyed on their user ID in our system.

wash rinse repeat for 100 customers.

I want all that wrapped up in my MS framework so I can ditch custom code for authentication and user groups and permissions, build once, repeat many, automate the hell out of everything.

So,.. IIS to SSRS/BI..?
Can I do this via power BI and SSRS? Do I have to tie identity manager in? Is this viable or should I just keep manhandling a web portal and writing pages?

If this is not an insane task for a small IT department (4 developers) then I'll call my rep and start the process to buy BI, but I dont' want to get into that process if this is a pipe dream.

2 REPLIES 2
MitchMcBride

I also have a need to provide reporting to external customers.  Currently, we serve report to users in a similar manner to Banquo's:

1. User logs into an ASP.NET Web Forms app using a custom authentication service that is similar to forms authentication.
  2. They select a report from a navigation control, configure available parameters, and run it.
  3. The report is viewed via the ReportViewer control.

The reports are authored against SQL and SSAS data sources.  This is a multi-tenant SaaS application with multiple customers' data residing in the same tables.  Because reports and queries are executed using stored service account credentials, we do not not rely on the databases to enforce row/cell/dimension security.   Instead, we limit access to data by passing account number and user number parameters to the reports from parameter pages and as part of drillthroughs.  Through the use of ReportViewer event handlers, we verify that an active session is present and that the user hasn't tampered with the security parameters in an attempt to gain access to another account's data.

I would like to use the same approach for embedded PowerBI reports via Power BI Report Server and a control similar to the Reporting Services ReportViewer.  Is this on the roadmap?

Thanks,

Mitch

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Banquo,

I'm not sure I get your point totally. From the description, you want different customers see their own data, right? Power BI reports in report server on-premise only support SSAS connection currently. We can set row filter on SSAS side, then configure the authentication for data source with As the user viewing this report.

@mgmeyer Do you have any comments on this issue?

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.