Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Selva_Salimi
Frequent Visitor

Exporting data to excel (power bi report server)

Hi

I have a problem with exporting data from power bi (report server) to excel, some of end users (for example managers) should have the abilily to export data to excel but some of them should not.

I have set attached settings on my reports, but this limit all end users from exporting data to excel, Is there any way to manage this problem? can anyone help me?

report server.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This is a report level setting in Report Server. Your only option would be to create 2 reports, one that allowed export and one that didn't and only give your managers access to the report which allows exporting. Or maybe setup a report specifically for exporting. We often use paginated reports for data extract purposes as they give us much better control of the formatting.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This is a report level setting in Report Server. Your only option would be to create 2 reports, one that allowed export and one that didn't and only give your managers access to the report which allows exporting. Or maybe setup a report specifically for exporting. We often use paginated reports for data extract purposes as they give us much better control of the formatting.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Selva_Salimi ,

unfortunately this simple answer is: this is not possible. If this is an essential requirement, you may migrate to the Power BI Service, and then you can accomplish what you are looking for as @Pragati11 suggested.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Selva_Salimi ,

Export data functionality is at a report level so you will have to assign permissions using Admin portal in Power BI Service to different users.

Check the following existing thread's solution if it helps:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/export-permissions-data-per-user/m-p/752322

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

thanks dear @Pragati11 , but I need help on power bi report server not service, is there any way to manage export permissions on power bi report server

Hi @Selva_Salimi ,

Ohh I missed reading the report server part in your question.

I will wait on someone else to jump-in for your help with relevant experience in Power BI Report server. 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.