Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robinboes
Frequent Visitor

Export a SSRS report to PDF - specific font lost

Hello the community,

We are now using a specific font in our SSRS reports. 

However, on the PBIReportServer when we extract the report to PDF : the specific font is lost and replaced by Arial.

Of course, the font has been imported on the PBIReportServer server.

When we extract to Word this is fine. 

This is really specific to PDF.

Do you know what could be missing ?

Thank you and best regards

Robin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello, Try this please:
on the report server > right click on font file > Install for all users > restart reporting service.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
robinboes
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft 

Yes I restarted the ReportServer service, and the server that hosts the ReportServer, and the result is still the same 😞 The font is still converted into MS Sans serif and Segoe.

An insight : the special font kept when extracting in Word from the report server. 

Does that help to find what is wrong?

Thanks again

Robin

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @robinboes ,

Did you restart the report server after installing the fonts? This step is required.

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-caitlyn-mstf 

Yes I restarted the ReportServer service, and the server that hosts the ReportServer, and the result is still the same. The font is still converted into MS Sans serif and Segoe.

An insight : the special font kept when extracting in Word from the report server. 

Does that help to find what is wrong?

Thanks again

Robin

robinboes
Frequent Visitor

Hello

Thank you for your fast reply.

I checked the parameters that you mentioned :

• The font embeddability is not set to EMBED_NOEMBEDDING, but Installable
  • The font Type is true type

robinboes_0-1645449941539.png

• In the SSRS report all my items (titles, boards) are visible of course with the hidden setting at False :

robinboes_1-1645449941540.png

Did I missed something in your explanation?

Thank again

Kind regards

Robin

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @robinboes ,

Fonts are embedded in the PDF file when the following conditions apply:

• Font embedding privileges are granted by the font author. Installed fonts include a property that indicates whether the font author intends to allow embedding a font in a document. If the property value is EMBED_NOEMBEDDING, the font is not embedded in the PDF file. For more information, see "TTGetEmbeddingType" on msdn.microsoft.com.

• The Font is TrueType.

• Fonts are referenced by visible items in a report. If a font is referenced by an item that has the Hidden property set to True, the font is not needed to display rendered data and will not be included in the file. Fonts are embedded only when they are needed to display the rendered report data.

If all of these conditions are met for a font, the font is embedded in the PDF file. If one or more of these conditions is not met, the font is not embedded in the PDF file.

Note:If the fonts used are the ones in the PDF specification that are commonly known as standard type 1 fonts or the base fourteen fonts, then fonts are not embedded for ANSI content.

For more information,you can refer to Export a paginated report to a PDF File 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You find something? 

Hi ! unfortunately no 😞

the solution proposed by ms was not enough. so i'm still not able to use additionnal font.

If you have some hints i am interested!

Hello, Try this please:
on the report server > right click on font file > Install for all users > restart reporting service.

I´m having the same problem right now, did you find something?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.