Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndrewTobin
Frequent Visitor

Error refreshing datasource - "Unexpected number of disk files associated with database object."

Hey guys,

We're using the latest release of the on-premise SSRS/Power BI server, and we recently got this error message we haven't seen before, and there's very little information via google and it seems to be related to SSAS, which I assume is part of the Power-BI components complaining.

"Unexpected number of disk files associated with database object. Possible cause for that is missing or corrupt cryptokey.bin or detach.log file"

PowerBI ErrorPowerBI Error

Has anyone come across it and knows the next steps to diagnose and fix?

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndrewTobin ,

For such problems, if the backup file is encrypted, the password specified during the backup must be provided before you can use the file to restore the Analysis Services database. If the encryption key file is lost, you will never be able to decrypt the backup file. You cannot decrypt it using another generated CryptoKey.bin file (otherwise this would be a big security issue).
For more information you can refer to the following documentation.

Backup and Restore of Analysis Services Databases | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndrewTobin ,

For such problems, if the backup file is encrypted, the password specified during the backup must be provided before you can use the file to restore the Analysis Services database. If the encryption key file is lost, you will never be able to decrypt the backup file. You cannot decrypt it using another generated CryptoKey.bin file (otherwise this would be a big security issue).
For more information you can refer to the following documentation.

Backup and Restore of Analysis Services Databases | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you able to refresh this PBI report locally or from Desktop?

Did you upgrade to new version or is it a new installation ? Make sure that you have enough space in PBI RS data drive.

Also try to restart PBIRS Services and check log file resides in PBIRS Folder for further details

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.