Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

shekarkola
Regular Visitor

Dremio source not appearing in Power-BI Report server (The given data source kind is not supported)

Using Power-BI desktop tool (Report server compatible), the source connection was successful to Dremio, once data was retrieved from Dremio and all the design was completed in the Power-BI desktop, I saved it in the On-premises report server. Unfortunately, there is no option to schedule a data refresh. 

Then, I added an additional data source in the same Power-BI report from a SQL Server view, after publishing the report, I could see the configuration for the schedule refresh option, but when the schedule ran, it failed with the error:

I'm a bit confused, the source is already part of the standard sources list (in PowerBI desktop), but it doesn't appear in the report server, is there any additional configuration needed on the Report Server side to make this data source (Dremio) available part of the schedule refresh configuraiton?

Error: 

Spoiler
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, The given data source kind is not supported. Data source kind: UnknownFunction..
[1] -1055129594: The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.

PBI-Refresh-error.png

2 REPLIES 2
shekarkola
Regular Visitor

@d_gosbell , I tried it with the following versions of Power-BI Report Server

• May 2023
  • Sep 2023

Thanks for pinning the doc refernce, the source I'm using is not in the list, however, the following statement justifies the error I'm getting expected, I think the Power-BI Report Server really lagged years than the cloud. and I could not understand, why are the data sources made available in Power-BI Desktop (optimized for PBIRS) while those are not supported when published into PBIRS

MS-Doc-Ref.png

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

What is the version of the Report Server? 
Is this Dremio Cloud that you are connected to? If you check here Power BI report data sources in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn most of the cloud sources do not support scheduled refresh when using Report Server

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.