Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hlg551
Regular Visitor

Displaying a text column in a measure/matrix

Hello,

I have a measure I am using in a matrix as kind of a summary for multiple companies. I am using switch for the column headers and then I have multiple different CALCULATION functions for displaying what I need.

However I am having trouble displaying a column that is supposed to show the category for the companies. The data is text. I have tried SELECTEDVALUE and that works if I have slicer and pick that specific category but I want to show the matrix for all categories at the same time, any ideas?

Thanks 🙂 

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hlg551 

Since the category table and company are well related. Instead of create a switch measure. You can just use 2 columns with other 2 measures{"sum" and "sum of two things") in a table visual.

V-pazhen-msft_0-1620698065373.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-pazhen-msft 
Thank you for your suggestion.

It is only my sample that is so simple, I just created it this way to show what I wanted from the category column, my real measure has a lot more in it so I need to try to keep the SWITCH sentence in.  

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hlg551 

Can you explain with example. I cannot fully understand your situation. Maybe provide a sample table and expected output.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

@V-pazhen-msft 

Yes, I'll try to explain this better. I have a matrix where I am showing information about various companies. The companies are in the rows and the columns is a SWITCH sentence where I calculate various things I want to show. What I am having problem with is displaying the category of each company. I need to find a function that allows me to display a string in a measure, similar to SELECTEDVALUE but I don't want to have to filter for a specific category I want to show all of them at the same time.

I tried to create a sample for what I am trying to do.
This is what I want it to look like:

hlg551_0-1620652637285.png

This is my measure:

hlg551_1-1620652700610.png

My tables are connected through IDs:

hlg551_2-1620652755430.png

hlg551_4-1620652778561.png

hlg551_5-1620652789764.png

So I want to display the Category name for every company in my matrix. 

I hope this explains it better, any help would be appriciated 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors