Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Differences between PBIDesktop_x64 and PBIDesktopRS_x64 desktop tools

A question on the difference between the regular Power BI (PBI) desktop tool and the Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) desktop tool -

1. Other than the ability to both publish to the Cloud and save to Report Server, what are the differences between it and the standard PBI desktop tool?

I ask this because PBIDestopRS was last released at End-October.  Why is it kept several months behind the PBI desktop tool feature set?   

Also, I've seen comments that it's "optimized" for the on-premises server, but cannot find any discussion what that exactly is.  We'd like to stay current to the latest (January) feature set, but will need to save to report server.  A dilemma. 

Can you direct me to a blog or individual that can answer these questions?   M. Cameron.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm closing this out.  My misunderstanding.  I see the desktop versions were updated within 2 days of each other.  It was the Report Server software that went through a release in end-October.  Devil's in the details.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm closing this out.  My misunderstanding.  I see the desktop versions were updated within 2 days of each other.  It was the Report Server software that went through a release in end-October.  Devil's in the details.

Hi, I wrote a blog article yesterday highlighting several differences between these two versions:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2018/02/19/understanding-the-differences-between-power-bi...

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.