Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tunlinaung

Desktop PowerBI connection with SQL Database on AWS

Dear All, 

Good days. 

We have SQL Database Server on AWS and we are connected from Desktop PowerBI by using Gateway. 

I am wondering, whether there will be any impact to Application Database since 1 SQL Database accessing from 2 Applications. 

1 is Read & Write access from Application and another 1 is from PowerBI. 

Your suggestion will be much helpful. 

Best Regards, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tunlinaung ,

In my opinion, depending on your specific connection method, Power BI gets SQL data, both by import and by direct connection. When you use import, the data is loaded into Power BI Desktop once and when users access the report, they don't access the SQL database, so no requests are sent to the SQL database and there is no impact on the SQL database. When you use Direct Query, on the other hand, every time a user opens a report, a query request is sent to the database, which can have an impact on the SQL database if there is a large amount of data and a large number of users accessing it.

Refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tunlinaung ,

In my opinion, depending on your specific connection method, Power BI gets SQL data, both by import and by direct connection. When you use import, the data is loaded into Power BI Desktop once and when users access the report, they don't access the SQL database, so no requests are sent to the SQL database and there is no impact on the SQL database. When you use Direct Query, on the other hand, every time a user opens a report, a query request is sent to the database, which can have an impact on the SQL database if there is a large amount of data and a large number of users accessing it.

Refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi Lucien, 
Thank you so much for sharing. 

Since we are accessing data by "Import" Connection, we will no big issue based on your comments. 

It's very helpful information. 

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.