Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pbi_106
Helper I
Helper I

Data refreshes have suddenly stopped working

Hi,

We have several Power BI reports available for users to run through the site.  We have the on-premises gateway installed, and a SQL server VM hosting the databases that the Power BI reports collect their data from during refreshes.  This has all been working fine over the last few years.

All of a sudden, starting last night, our scheduled refreshes failed.  We are consistently getting one of the two following messages:

"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_SpooledOperationMissing"

"The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections."

Nothing should have changed with the Gateway, with the SQL Server data, or with any firewalls or Windows updates.  It looks like I can refresh this data locally through Power BI desktop for these reports without an issue and connect to the databases via SQL Server Management Studio, but when I publish the report online through the Power BI site, I still see one of the two above errors beside the dataset Refreshed date.  Oddly enough, one of our reports, though it failed with the "Server was not found or was not accessible" error last night, did rerun successfully through the site.  The others all continue to fail.

I'm having no difficulties accessing the data through Power BI Desktop.  The issue appears to only be affecting the Power BI site and data gateway.

UPDATE: I'm intermittently seeing that Gateway connections in the site are showing an error "Gateway or datasources not reachable".  When I go to manage connections and gateways on the site, I see that the gateway itself is online, but most of the connections are offline with an error of "DataSourceUnreachable", "SqlException encountered while accessing the target data source."  After restarting the gateway service, they seem fine again, but after failed refreshes, they seem to revert back to an offline state.

How do I begin troubleshooting these strange errors? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pbi_106
Helper I
Helper I

Found the issue.  The sys admins had cloned the server that included both the on-premise data gateway and SQL databases as part of some other testing they were doing.  After they powered off the clone, I was able to refresh data through the site again.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
pbi_106
Helper I
Helper I

Found the issue.  The sys admins had cloned the server that included both the on-premise data gateway and SQL databases as part of some other testing they were doing.  After they powered off the clone, I was able to refresh data through the site again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.