Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GiulianoB

Consume Excel file stored in M-File from PowerBI

Hello,
Is there anyone who has configured PowerBI or a Dataflow in a way to consume an Excel file directly from an M-File Vault?

By using the "Get Data" from PowerBI, I'm able to find the file from the M-File desktop version I'm using but then, a local copy of it is getting created in my SharePoint personal folder. Unfortunately in this way, the file used by PowerBI is not any more connected with the real source.

I've found on the network the suggestion to work in the opposite way around. Something like:

- Store the Excel working file in SharePoint

- Link PowerBI to SharePoint (very easy)

- Copy the file to M-File when approval is needed

... but I need to secure that my PowerBi is using only the latest approved data from the source.

Is there any official best practice on this matter that I can use?

Thanks!!!

1 REPLY 1
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GiulianoB ,

It works according to the method you described, but you need to make sure that the source is up to date.

The following M-languages are available:

let varName = Text.BetweenDelimiters([File Name], "_", ".") in
#datetime(Number.From(Text.Start(varName, 4)), Number.From(Text.Middle(varName,5,1)), Number.From(Text.Middle(varName, 6, 2)), Number.From(Text.Middle(varName,8,2)), Number.From(Text.End(varName,2)),0)

vxiandatmsft_0-1706839543035.png

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.