Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BartKemp1981

Connect power BI desktop to Power Bi server

Hi all,

I have most likely a rather simple question:

I want to use PI Desktop to consolidate several navision 2015 systems. As far as i understand the connection allowes me to refresh the data to desktop at my desire (set a schedule for example, or "get data" myself during the evening hours.

Once i have consolidated the data set in desktop, do I understand correctly I can push this data-set then to Power BI server? So the other users (we are a small company, only 3 users atm of Power BI) can use this data set for there reports?

Or would you recommend setting up the data in power BI server directly? (currently the data is "on premise" on our own servers in navision 2015. My IT depertment is concernd the "live" connection would be to much for our servers to use,

Appreciate any help!

Kind regards

Bart

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, you would use Desktop to model your system and then publish to Power BI Report Server or Power BI Service and setup scheduled refresh. If you use the Service you will need a Data Gateway to access your on-premises data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

tnx for your help! helps a lot

one more clarifying question if you would be so kind

I want to use desktop to pull data from Navision 2015. Can I do that also by scheduling a refresh in the evening for example? (Rather then using the standard live connection?) I want to limit the impact on our servers

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are using on-prem data source, Yes you can schedule the refresh in PowerBI service under the gateway instead of live connection. Make sure the data source is supported by Enterprise Gateway. you can check it out here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.