Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

leandrobatista
Regular Visitor

Connect Power BI Server to Project Online API Data

Hello people,

I'm trying to connect a dashboard on Power BI Server to Project Online using API data and i get login error. However, when I deploy the datasource I cannot use the Organization Account authentication method available only in Power BI Desktop.

pbi2.png

Power bi Desktop

powerbi.png

Power bi Server

2 REPLIES 2
LoraBennett
Regular Visitor

Hi @leandrobatista 

In our version of PBIRS (May 2019) connecting to POL didn't work regardless of the auth method used; we came to the conclusion (internally and on the forums here) that it's a feature not currently available within PBIRS - PBI yes, Cloud Workspace yes, but Report Server, nope. I believe this was due to how it applies the authentication however as it works elsewhere it seems like it was mostly a shoulder shrug response.

To get around this limitation I automated a pulled the data from POL into a SQL DB and then made a connection to that SQL DB. It's a clunky workaround and I'm hoping that a more up-to-date version allows it but if not, this may be an option?

I've read on another topic that data gateway could be used...but I've not done this so I wouldn't know.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Power BI Report Server does not support OAuth. Perhaps Key?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors