Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johncpratt
Advocate II
Advocate II

Bubble and Filled maps Location field must be named "Location" or data will not render

I am using Power BI Report Server August 2017 Preview with Power BI Desktop RS June 2017 GA.

On both Filled and Bubble maps, the calculated column value placed in the Location well field must be named "Location" or the data will not render on the map regardless of the field value, including order, structure (comma-delimited or not), and data categorization of any individual fields.  The name of the field placed in the Location well should not matter, only the contents of the field.

Reproducible example: Calculated column with [City, State, "USA"] named "Location" renders data on both bubble and filled maps. Rename the column to "LocationCity" and all rendered data disappears. Rename the column back to "Location" and all data reappears.

Location well containing calculated column "Location":

Bubble and Filled Maps - Location field named Location.png

Location column renamed to "LocationCity":

Bubble and Filled Maps - Location field named LocationCity.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @johncpratt,

Please try to update the Power BI desktop for report server to 2.49.4831.801 64-bit (August 2017). Then change the Data Category for the calculated column LocationCity as Place to see if the issue occurs. 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @johncpratt,

Glad to hear the issue is solved. I will close this thread. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
johncpratt
Advocate II
Advocate II

@v-qiuyu-msft, @Vicky_Song,  I installed the Power BI Desktop RS August 2017 Preview as instructed.  With just this change in place, the issue still occurred.  I then defined the data category for the calculated column as "Place" as instructed, and that did fix the issue.  I was able to rename the field as desired and the data still rendered.  Thank you!

LocationCity with Data Category = PlaceLocationCity with Data Category = Place

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @johncpratt,

Please try to update the Power BI desktop for report server to 2.49.4831.801 64-bit (August 2017). Then change the Data Category for the calculated column LocationCity as Place to see if the issue occurs. 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.