Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ottofrello
Regular Visitor

Browsing report makes requests to external resources

I have set up Power BI Report Server (SQL Server Enterprise with Software Assurance version 15.0.1108.297) on premise, and set up my first report. When browsing the report, the browser makes a request to the external resource appsource.powerbi.com/visuals.json. The content of the file seems pretty irrelevant, and I want to get rid of this (and any other) requests to external resources.

I have done the following already:

1. In the registry editor, in the folder Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\PBIRS\CPE, I have set the keys CustomerFeedback and EnableErrorReporting to 0. This got rid of some other requests to external resources.
  2. By connecting to the Report Server via SSMS, going to Properties -> Advanced, I have set the EnableCDNVisuals and EnableCustomVisuals to False. Setting EnableCDNVisuals got rid of another request to an external resource, but EnableCustomVisuals made no apparent change.

Any advice on how to get rid of this request is much welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I'm pretty sure that request to appsource is to check the version of your custom visuals with the custom visual CDN so setting EnableCDNVisuals to False should prevent this. If it is not doing this you should probably raise a support ticket with Microsoft.

Thanks for your reply! Would this be the procedure you are referring to, or is that guide only for users of Power BI service (it's not really clear from the description)?

Hi, did you ever get an answer to this question regarding turning off the json requests to 

https://pbivisuals.powerbi.com/approvedResources.json and

https://appsource.powerbi.com/visuals.json

Unfortunately, no, I never did manage to find a good solution to the problem.

@ottofrello wrote:

Thanks for your reply! Would this be the procedure you are referring to, or is that guide only for users of Power BI service (it's not really clear from the description)?

I think that should probably work. But if your company has an Enterprise Agreement with Microsoft your IT dept or Microsoft Account Manager should also be able to create support tickets and those should have a better SLA than going via that public link.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.