Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maruthi
Frequent Visitor

Avoid login username and password prompt for Power BI report on Report Server

Hi Team,

I have a power bi report deployed on report server. And I have a Active Directory group with all users. When user click the report link to open, immeadiately prompts for login information like username and password. Users are using Chrome,Windows IE & Edge, Mozilla, safari and other browsers. Is there any way to avoid login prompt window and access power bi report directly without any authentication. 

The reporting setup is on-premise and consists of Power BI Report Server, has various types of PBIX files in imported mode.

There is AD based authetication provisioned to all the above PBIX reports.

There is no SSAS and the PBIX files are linked to SQL Server.

Issue: 

Windows login prompt with authentication for username and password:

Login.JPG

I have defined "Data Source" with credentials by using a common user account.

datasource.JPG

1) Is there any work around to resolve this issue? 
2) Is there any way to use common user login username and password for all users while opening power bi report on report server ?

Kindly reply back with your inputs and suggestions. Appreciate for those. Thank you.

PS: I have gone through other links for same kind of questions in the forums but couldn't get the right information about this issue.

Best Regards,

Maruthi SP

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

gauravmahajan

If this helps someone, I was able to reslve this by adding the corresponding report viewers AD group to the local users group on the SSRS server.

Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

The prompt you are seeing is a windows authentication prompt for connecting from the browser to the server... not in the connection to the underlying data source. You probably need to check your browser settings and active directory config to confirm why the windows auth challange is coming up. In some circumstances, you can change the report server negotiate and NTLM settings as described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/configure-windows-authentication-on...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys, sorry but I just couldnt unsderstand what the solution for this issue is. Can this be resolved without changes to the configuration files? My case is such that I want to assign create default login credentials that all the users can be logged in through automatically when they access the reports via a web browser, and without the prompt being displayed to them. 

You can create eg. bat file to run web browser as other user. They will use your dedicated user.
If dialog will show up anyway u need to configure your browser or web to automaticaly authentification from AD.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 
Should I add script in .bat file? Can you please share with me script?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.