Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

don075
Helper I
Helper I

Authenticating with Azure AD

I have installed Power BI server in our local network and would like to know whether it is possible to setup the Power BI authentication with Azure AD.

Presently, it is working with AD. But need to know whether Azure AD is possble.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The default authentication settings are RSWindowsNTLM and RSWindowsKerberos as per RsReportServer.config Configuration File - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Microsoft Learn I don't recall off hand but it's possible that if you have not changed the default Authentication settings that this section will not be in the config file at all. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
don075
Helper I
Helper I

it possible to know how to find the current authentication settings in power bi report server (on-premise) please? When I go to Report Server Configuration Manager, I see the web portal, database, web service...etc. But nothing about how it is authenticating users.

The default authentication settings are RSWindowsNTLM and RSWindowsKerberos as per RsReportServer.config Configuration File - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Microsoft Learn I don't recall off hand but it's possible that if you have not changed the default Authentication settings that this section will not be in the config file at all. 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It might be possible since Report Server supports custom security extensions. So you might be able to code one yourself, but I have not seen any examples for this. Typically most people use something like Azure Active Directory Federation Services Active Directory Federation Services in Azure | Microsoft Learn to keep AD and AAD in sync

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.