Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

codecae
Frequent Visitor

August 2018 Update - Power BI Reports infinitely "Loading Data..."

I performed an update of the Power BI Report Server from March 2018 to August 2018 and am finding now that none of my Power BI Reports are rendering!  Instead, the screen shows nothing but infinitely spinning dots and the words "Loading Data..." 

I have attempted the workarounds in other discussions but nothing seems to be working!  Our environment is using constrained delegation and I am able to test the connections successfully when going to the "Manage"->"Data Sources" page for any given report.  There doesn't appear to be any authentication or authorization issues.

I left a report "running" for nearly an hour and nothing is happening -- no errors or anything.. just.. nothing 😞  Usually these reports run in seconds, as they are running against a high-performance SSAS model.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get this working?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Cleaning your browser cache sould solve this issue.

This cache problem was discussed on another thread and this seems to be the last version with this problem.

By the way, there is a note on the announcemnet blog post:

"Please note: For those users who are upgrading their report server from a previous version, we recommend clearing your browser cache before viewing your reports."

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Cleaning your browser cache sould solve this issue.

This cache problem was discussed on another thread and this seems to be the last version with this problem.

By the way, there is a note on the announcemnet blog post:

"Please note: For those users who are upgrading their report server from a previous version, we recommend clearing your browser cache before viewing your reports."

We tried clearing the cache but it didn't seem to work.  Turns out you have to go into the developer console in ie11 and clear it there as well, which isn't very intuitive for most users.

It does seem to have helped in chrome with little effort.  It wasn't so easy to clear the cache effectively in IE11, but I think we may have a workaround.  I suspect our team will be soon innundated with support tickets, unfortunately, as many of our users don't even know what a cache is, let alone know how to clear it!

Nonetheless, it appears that there may be an update soon that will address this from the server.  Anyone aware of when this update may become available?

If clearing the chace is the solution, where is the document that explain that?

I had no clue what chace you were talking about, and I am still confused.

Is every customer going to clear their own cache?

Well, I really know what you mean, but unfortunately, cleaning the cache is the only solution I know for this problem.

I have some hope on the next version (December). There the update would run smoothly, following this comment by @mgmeyer 
"...Also the cache is a known issue that we fixed in this release however it does require to you do clear your cache one more time, it shouldn't happen in future releases...."
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/June-2018-Release-of-Power-BI-Report-Server/m-p/49167...

rlbuhtbiadp
Frequent Visitor

We implemented the fix that was affecting the SSRS reports from this post but were still having the same problems with Power BI reports as you are having. Deleting the browser cache seems to fix it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue.

I've created a Paginated Report and the SSAS Cube give me data, so I was more confused. So, Windows like, I've restarted the Machine and everything works fine. Hopefully that works also in you enviroment?

I have tried many things, including various ways of performing installations and reboot cycles... even tried repairs, etc.  Strangely, it will complete a report occasionally, but very soon after the pinwheel of death returns... and by occasionally, I mean like barely ever... never something that would be considered production ready or even predictable by any means.

To rule out anything network related, I installed the March 2018 version again with a fresh metadata repository and the reports run every single time, predictably and up to expected speeds... something isn't quite right about this upgraded version.

Even fresh installations result in the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you find anything in the report server logs about the issue?

The logs do not contain anything alarming.. no warnings or stack traces.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I prefer to upon a ticket at microsoft

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.