Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dutchlimits
Helper I
Helper I

Analysis services remotely or locally

Hi there

I got a report server with a local database and local analysis services which works fine. 

However, i'm trying to have a seperate report server and a seperate database server as a test enviroment, so two servers with this enviroment. I have installed analysis services and SQL server on the database server, the report server is running fine, however analysis services is not working when opening a directquery report.

Now here comes the question, since i've installed analysis on the remote server, is this even going to work, if so, what am i doing wrong? Or do i need to have analysis services installed locally on the report server.

Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Now here comes the question, since i've installed analysis on the remote server, is this even going to work, if so, what am i doing wrong? Or do i need to have analysis services installed locally on the report server.

This works fine, you just need to have Kerboros authentication configured in order to securely pass the user credentials between the report server and the remote servers.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports

You just want to be slow and methodical when setting this up. But once it's up and running it works fine. We currently have both our test and prod environments configured this way.

Ah! i've not seen this page before. I'll try it out. Thanks for the link. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.