Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Valley_Girl
Helper I
Helper I

[0] -1056505856: COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..

Hi,

Recently upgraded to the October version of Power BI Desktop Optimised for Report Server and now my report won't refresh on the server.

Getting this error: 

[0] -1056505856: COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..

I'm connecting via SQL views and Analysis Services (import not direct)

I've read the responses to similar issues and it mentions changing column names, which i've done but the issue is still occuring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Valley_Girl
Helper I
Helper I

So I fixed this myself in the end, I narrowed down the problem to it being one specific table which I'd merged two other tables into using Power Query. The specific issue that somewhere in those merges were columns of the same name (or so Power BI kept telling me) I tried renaming the columns within Power Query and in SQL but for whatever reason it still wasn't working (I've been rushing this so every chance I missed a stupid column but oh well!!) In the end I created one big SQL view so I didn't need to merge anything within Power Query and now it's working.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
venkatesulu
Regular Visitor

Hi Team,

I am also facing the same kind of issue, Data is coming from the SQL database. I have done basic troubleshooting but no luck.  Someone can help me to fix this.

SessionID: 4a7bad3b-31e1-4dea-a854-1cf095e38838

Did you upgrade your on-premise PBIRS to January 2021 Release?

jitendrapandey
Advocate II
Advocate II

January 2021 Release of Power BI Report Server is out and it fixed the issue with scheduled refreshes of Power BI apps that have Power Query-M joins.  The link is here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-server-january-2021-feature-summary/

jitendrapandey
Advocate II
Advocate II

Microsoft released a bug-fix release on January 8, 2021 and even this release is not working for me.  How can Microsoft release products/releases with a through testing.  This is really frustating!!

See Power BI Report Server change log:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog

Fix also didn't work for me. Get this:

SessionID: 2a175ab7-a51c-4407-b3ee-24b65784210e
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, An item with the same key has already been added..
[1] -1055784828: The database operation was cancelled because of an earlier failure.
[2] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[3] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[4] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[5] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[6] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, An item with the same key has already been added..
[7] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, An item with the same key has already been added..

January 2021 Release of Power BI Report Server is out and it fixed the issue with scheduled refreshes of Power BI apps that have Power Query joins.  The link is here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-server-january-2021-feature-summary/

yes, it is frustrating. it is also not working for me with the bugfix release from jan 2021. 😞

rwmnau
Helper I
Helper I

I haven't found another workaround for this yet and I have a couple of tables in my data model that aren't just a SQL select so I can't join them in a view. It definitely seems to be the Table.Combine that's causing the problem, though.

It's frustrating the Desktop seems fine with the situation and makes it incredibly time-consuming to try and troubleshoot and create a work-around for this issue.

rwmnau
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for reporting back on the resolution - I have a report that worked fine on the January 2020 release, but started to get an error when we moved to the October 2020 server release. We just installed the updated October 2020 server last night and now I'm getting this error (on a report that used to refresh previously, no issue at all). I'll follow your advice and try to narrow it down, but it seems like a bug in the newest release because it refreshed before without issue.

Good luck! It was a frustrating process getting it to work again, I have seen other people are having the same issue so hopefully it is a bug and they get it fixed asap. 

1056505856: COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..

this bug is still there and mergin tables as a workarround is not an option in my case. i upgraded from may 2020 to october 2020 and have the issues only with teradata but not with ms sql sources.

thx klaus

Valley_Girl
Helper I
Helper I

So I fixed this myself in the end, I narrowed down the problem to it being one specific table which I'd merged two other tables into using Power Query. The specific issue that somewhere in those merges were columns of the same name (or so Power BI kept telling me) I tried renaming the columns within Power Query and in SQL but for whatever reason it still wasn't working (I've been rushing this so every chance I missed a stupid column but oh well!!) In the end I created one big SQL view so I didn't need to merge anything within Power Query and now it's working.

I am sorry to say that is no solution it looks like a painful workarround which does not solve the root cause and can not appled to everyones case..

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.