Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pokeRumpali
Regular Visitor

why existing queries are re-evaluated when creating a new query?

Hi,

I am working with Power BI for 5+ years. There was great progress made with the features and the visualisations!

We have large datasets in SQL Server, and database queries are optimised for daily import scheduled from Power BI service. 

However, I am ofen "surprised"  (not in a good way) by adding a new data query in Power BI Desktop and having to wait for the refresh of several unrelated queries.

These are queries over large data, and while developing there is need to explore the data at the same time.

Most ridiculous thing is to disable "include in report refresh" for a known slow query just in order to watch it refresh once again .

With new Power BI Desktop updates, the old settings for "disable background refresh" and "disable preview" are often lost.

How do you deal with endless data refreshes?

Cheers, Alex

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pokeRumpali ,

1. Please refer to the reasons listed in the documentation:
Why does my query run multiple times - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Speed/Performance aspects – The BIccountant

2. For the issue of losing the current file configuration after updating the desktop, after testing, the file retains the disabled background analysis settings for the current file and I use the installer to update the desktop. Could you please disclose more details about the method used to update the Desktop?

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors