Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RanE
Frequent Visitor

powerbi-gateway kerberosfor sso

Hello experts, 

I have just read the following artice about Use Kerberos for SSO from PowerBI to on premises data sources:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-kerberos-for-sso-pbi-to-on-premise...

I have a couple of questions:
1. What the pros of utilizing this option? Why would you want to go with this rather than the "traditional" power bi gateway that is currently offered? 
2.Is the preview version out there avaiable for download? i wasn't able to find any links to that. 
3. Is it an acceptable risk to have the gateway reside on the same system as the SQL Server when impersonation is configured, or should one have a separate server configured with constrained delegation?

Any other information/clarifications would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @RanE,

It's not a preview on-premise data gateway version. You can download and install it as before, just add a new feature to the data gateway. Once the data gateway in online and you create a SQL Server data source, you will see the SSO option under Advanced Settings. But you need to configure the Kerberos Constrained Delegation carefully. Please follow the document closely. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RanE,

1. If we don't configure the data source use SSO, each user accesses the report will use the same credential which defined in SQL Server data source under Manage Gateways. While it has SSO configured, each user sees precisely the data for which they have permissions in the underlying data source rather than shared data caching across different users. 

2.  You can download the on-premise data gateway here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53127

3. It's fine to have on-premise data gateway installed on the same machine as databases run. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft thanks for repyling!
Is it just then  a regular On-premises data gateway installation?
I have followed the link to download the on-premise data gateway. I thought it might be a different version of gateway.
(Like a preview version). 
Do i just download the gateway, install it, configure it per the instructions on the article  and then create a new data source (configure to use SSO?) on this gateway?

Thanks!

Hi @RanE,

It's not a preview on-premise data gateway version. You can download and install it as before, just add a new feature to the data gateway. Once the data gateway in online and you create a SQL Server data source, you will see the SSO option under Advanced Settings. But you need to configure the Kerberos Constrained Delegation carefully. Please follow the document closely. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors