Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

looking up values where two ranges apply

Hello,

I have a customer table with multiple status that relate to a date range. I've used these date ranges to create and a unique reference for each customer&status.

i.e

Customer - A, Status - Green, startdate - 01/01/2022 enddate - 25/02/2022 = unique reference AGreen

Customer - A, Status - Blue, startdate - 05/04/2022 enddate - 30/04/2022 = unique reference ABlue

My other table contains orders with various start and end dates.

i.e

Customer A, Order 9875, start date - 04/01/2022, order end - 06/01/2022

Customer A, Order 9917, start date - 07/04/2022, order end - 05/05/2022

I need to add the unique customer&status reference to the order table where the order was 'live' at any point on or within the start and end dates of the customer status. 

desired result

Order 9875 unique reference = AGreen

Order 9917 unique reference = ABlue

Some orders may still be live (holding null in enddate) and some customer status end dates maybe null also

I've tried merging queries but I can't figure out the best way to use a custom column / calculated column to look up the correct value. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks

H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Another option is to start with the Orders table, merge in the Customer table (matching on the Customer column), expand the date and unique reference columns, and then filter out the rows that don't satisfy the time overlap.

Here's some example code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUbK0MDcFUib6hvpGBkZGQKYZjBmrA1ViaWgOpMz1TWBKTPVNoUpiAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Customer = _t, Order = _t, #"Start Date" = _t, #"Order End" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer", type text}, {"Order", Int64.Type}, {"Start Date", type date}, {"Order End", type date}}, "en-IN"),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Customer"}, Customers, {"Customer"}, "Customers", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Customers" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Customers", {"Start Date", "End Date", "Unique Reference"}, {"Customers.Start Date", "Customers.End Date", "Customers.Unique Reference"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Customers", each ([Customers.Start Date] <= [Order End] and [Customers.End Date] >= [Start Date]))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Another option is to start with the Orders table, merge in the Customer table (matching on the Customer column), expand the date and unique reference columns, and then filter out the rows that don't satisfy the time overlap.

Here's some example code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUbK0MDcFUib6hvpGBkZGQKYZjBmrA1ViaWgOpMz1TWBKTPVNoUpiAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Customer = _t, Order = _t, #"Start Date" = _t, #"Order End" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer", type text}, {"Order", Int64.Type}, {"Start Date", type date}, {"Order End", type date}}, "en-IN"),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Customer"}, Customers, {"Customer"}, "Customers", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Customers" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Customers", {"Start Date", "End Date", "Unique Reference"}, {"Customers.Start Date", "Customers.End Date", "Customers.Unique Reference"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Customers", each ([Customers.Start Date] <= [Order End] and [Customers.End Date] >= [Start Date]))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Thank you for this. I have managed to implement this into my model. Just checking through the data to see that it's all doing as expected but so far looking great.

thanks again.

H

edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You can do this in Power Query my modifying the tables. You might create tables that aren't loaded but are just used in a merge for this purpose. My file is here - I did this in Excel for simplicity's sake.

What I did:
In each table I created a DateRange field that is a list of the dates from the StartDate to EndDate. It is actually numeric, but you convert to dates in a second:

edhans_0-1660063273258.png

You then hit the double-arrows in the upper right of that new column, Expand into Rows, then change the type to date. You'll get this:

edhans_1-1660063318352.png

Do that with both tables, then from the order table, merge it with the customer table as shown, using 2 columns:

edhans_2-1660063374759.png

Do not expand the merged "Customers" column. Instead, add a custom column with this formula:

if Table.RowCount([Customers]) > 0 then [Customers][Status]{0} else null

If the merged Customers column has more than 1 record, this will get the Status value of the first record, which is Green in this case.

edhans_3-1660063486115.png

At this point, keep only the columns you want (get rid of the Customers and DateRange for example), then use Table.Distinct (remove duplicates on the whole table) and you get this:

edhans_4-1660063568891.png

The order table can be brought in as is. The Customer table would need a copy of the original before all of this work. You could duplicate it and remove all of  the steps I added, or create a reference to it to create this expanded table, etc. Many ways to approach it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks so much for your reply. I am trying to replicate this, but adding the first column I get 

Expression.Error: The name 'Changed Type' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly

any idea why this is?

#"Changed Type" refers to the previous step. Change it to whatever the name of your previous step is.

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I would advise doing this in DAX. Power Query can do this, but performance will be awful compared to DAX.

In DAX you would create a new calculated column in your Orders table, something like this:

..customerUniqueReference = 
CALCULATE(
    VAR __customer = VALUES(ordersTable[Customer])
    VAR __orderStart = VALUES(ordersTable[StartDate])
    VAR __orderEnd = VALUES(ordersTable[EndDate])
    RETURN
    MAXX(
        FILTER(
            customersTable,
            customersTable[Customer] = __customer
                && customersTable[StartDate] <= __orderEnd
                && customersTable[EndDate] >= __orderStart
        ),
        customersTable[UniqueReference]
    )
)

You may want to fiddle wth the '>=' and '<=' bits to get the exact matching behaviour that you need, but this basic structure used in DAX should be super-fast.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply, its good to know there are many ways to achieve the desired result. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors