Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

elsalvador182
Advocate III
Advocate III

enterprise refresh with csv files

I have a collection of csv files stored on an ftp server that are exported from Salesforce. I want to use enterprise gateway so that I can have multiple users hit "refresh" and get the most up to date data from power bi (cloud).

question: 

1) I can also have the files stored locally on a machine using a thrird party program to pull and download. Can the enterprise gateway refresh using these locally stored csv files?

2) Can the enterpise gateway pull from ftp site (or website?)

Theres tons of articles on gateways but its still a littel fuzzy. help.

2 REPLIES 2
eskyline
Resolver I
Resolver I

I can't speak to directly consuming on an FTP location but the enterprise gateway can consume CSVs on a folder if they are stored locally and UNC path qualified.  You can see this link for an example of how this can be done (Refreshing Power BI reports based off Excel data using the On-premises data gateway ).

For your scenario you would have to:

• Bring the files down using your third party tool.  Put them on a network share. 
  • In Power BI Desktop use the Get Data option and select Folder.  Point to the UNC share.  Make sure you select to "Edit" and when the table is presented there will be column "Content" with "Binary" as the contents.  In the column header click the double down arrow icon.  That will convert the file listing to the actual contents.  You can do additional power query functions (such as Use First Row as Headers).
  • Build out your report and publish it to the server.
  • Establish a On-Premises Gateway connection of type "Folder" pointing at the UNC path.
  • Finally on the "Dataset" in the Power BI Service, select Schedule REfresh, then set it to the Gateway connection.  YOu can also set a refresh schedule.

From there the data should refresh, or a user can select the dataset and Refresh.  This should work even if you change the number of files in the directory.

Hope this helps

James1965
Helper I
Helper I

Hi all,

I have the same problem, a collection of csv files stored on a ftp server with password!

I cann´t get data. I know that Power BI should work with ftp server. How? 

Thanks for answer!

James1965

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors