Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Reply
DataMinion
Helper I
Helper I

We couldn't authenticate with the credential provided. Please try again

Hi,

 

I'm using Power Query via Excel and not via Power BI. I have various spreadsheets saved in Sharepoint that I connect to and all of a sudden when trying to refresh one I get the message to 'Edit Credentials'. Nothing has changed on my side and my username and password has not been changed.

 

When I go to edit them via Organisational Account I keep getting the message below 'We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again'.

 

DataMinion_0-1666772331285.png

 

This is so frustrating as now none of my data connections work and the thought of going back to manually updating these fills me with fear.

 

I've read earlier posts about changing my default browser and going into Power BI to change security settings, which I've done but this does not fix. As I am just using Power Query maybe that is why as I'm not currently using Power BI for these reports.

 

Is anyone able to offer a solution please?

 

Thanks

 

 

Steve

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi Steve,

 

Have you tried narrowing the level at which you apply the credentials? The dropdown box in your screenshot shows that you're trying to auth at the SharePoint root level and, unless you're a top-level tenant admin, it's unlikely you have auth to access this level.

Try authenticating at the next level down, then the next level after that, and so on.

 

Pete



Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!




View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

nice trick. thank you for sharing.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I found a solution, execute the follwing steps:

1. Open de excel file in your web browser

2. Select the option to open de file in Excel application

3. When the file is opened in Excel, go to File>Information and once in there, copy the access route of the file

4. Once you've copied that link, use it to connect in power BI your data source. You will see that this fixes de authentication problem.

 

I hope it works for you as it worked for me!

 

 

Hi bro,

I really don't understand your guiding. Could you help to show it in bigger photo and in English (not France or Spanish as your photo) ?.

 

Thank you very much.

1. In the Excel file opened in the web browser, click "Editing" > "Open in Desktop App".

NordSyd_0-1703071180300.png

NordSyd_1-1703071242783.png
2. Click "File" > "Info" > "Copy Path".

NordSyd_3-1703071411700.png

NordSyd_2-1703071354705.png

That said, the icons in the screenshots are the same and are independent of language.

This worked for me. Thank you for the solution!

FahimehMcG
Regular Visitor

Have you fixed this issue? I am encountering the same problem. It's so frustrating. Theer is no changes to my account or SharePoint site. I have been using the same approach to design queries in my other workbooks and havn't had such issues. Recently, I am getting the same error. I tried may options but no luck yet! I am curiuous to know if this can be caused due to any changes (like security) may applied by IT? Or what else could cause such an issue? Appreciate your help/ sharing your latest experiences please. 

Hi @FahimehMcG ,

 

I suggest you open a new forum topic on this including as much information as possible about your issue and the things you've already done to try and resolve it.

 

Here's a great post on how to get your question answered quickly that will help:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/3239354 

 

Pete



Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!




Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Any solution for this ? Has anyone figured out if that could be due to IT department may be pushing or updating credentials? Appreciate your help. 

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi Steve,

 

Have you tried narrowing the level at which you apply the credentials? The dropdown box in your screenshot shows that you're trying to auth at the SharePoint root level and, unless you're a top-level tenant admin, it's unlikely you have auth to access this level.

Try authenticating at the next level down, then the next level after that, and so on.

 

Pete



Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!




Hi Pete,

 

Thanks for your response. I had tried that to be honest but given it another go and tried refreshing and it seems to work. When I did this last time the data connections refreshed but failed again a few hours later but let's see if this works this time.

 

Speaking to our IT dept I think they may have made changes behind the scenes which might have corrupted my credentials as I did have authority at the top level.

 

I will mark this as solved once i know for certain its worked.

 

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete,

 

Its holding up still so thank you for your help and now my credentials are accepted.

 

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors