Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

justinrae
Regular Visitor

Unable to connect to PostgreSQL with SSL

I'm trying to connect to a PostgreSQL database that now is now secured with SSL. I was able to connect to it previously now I'm getting the unable to connect error. Our team developer has created a non ssl user and I still get this error. Does PowerBI allow connections to secure databases? What can I do to get this connection working but keep the secure integrity of the database? Unable to connect error.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @justinrae,

Power BI Desktop allows connections to secure databases. Based on my research, to make Power BI Desktop work with PostgreSQL that is secured with SSL, you would need to copy SSL certificate for the PostgreSQL server to the machine running Power BI Desktop and import it to Windows certificate store. Because Power BI Desktop uses the windows certificate store to decide what to trust, once you tell the Windows that is running Power BI Desktop to trust the  SSL certificate for the PostgreSQL server, Power BI Desktop will trust it too.

In addition, in the configuration folder for the PostgreSQL server there is a postgresql.conf file, search it for SSL settings, there is one with the location of the SSL certificate. Take a look at the server name when you import the SSL certificate and connect from Power BI Desktop using the same server name. Then check if the above error goes away.

There is a similar thread for your reference.
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Postgres-error-with-Power-BI-Desktop/td-...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @justinrae,

Power BI Desktop allows connections to secure databases. Based on my research, to make Power BI Desktop work with PostgreSQL that is secured with SSL, you would need to copy SSL certificate for the PostgreSQL server to the machine running Power BI Desktop and import it to Windows certificate store. Because Power BI Desktop uses the windows certificate store to decide what to trust, once you tell the Windows that is running Power BI Desktop to trust the  SSL certificate for the PostgreSQL server, Power BI Desktop will trust it too.

In addition, in the configuration folder for the PostgreSQL server there is a postgresql.conf file, search it for SSL settings, there is one with the location of the SSL certificate. Take a look at the server name when you import the SSL certificate and connect from Power BI Desktop using the same server name. Then check if the above error goes away.

There is a similar thread for your reference.
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Postgres-error-with-Power-BI-Desktop/td-...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'll give this a shot and let you know how it goes. I'm assuming it'll be the same thing with accessing secured  MySQL databases?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors