Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

g30__
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to Azure database from Power BI desktop: Named Pipes Provider error 40

I sucessfull connected to my company's azure database 2 days ago using Power BI. It is configured to allow remote connections and has no limit to the number of allowed connections, however since then I have been unable to connect again, I keep getting this error:

g30___0-1675960095486.png

I am still able to connect to this database through other software (QGIS), and the dashboard I previously published to Power BI service using the same database is still connected and up to date but I can't import new data from any different tables.

Things I have tried:

1. Triple checking all the characters in the server name
  2. Going into data source settings, edit permissions, edit credentials, and making sure the credentials, and other settings are correct
  3. I have allowed port 1433 and power BI through windows firewall
  4. Using telnet command whihc resulted in: Connect failed

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's been a while, but as it turns out I was setting up the connection as an SQL database instead of a Postgresql database.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Good to know, how do you do that?

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello I'm having the same issue, did you got any updates?

It's been a while, but as it turns out I was setting up the connection as an SQL database instead of a Postgresql database.

Unfortunately no, I'm still having the exact same issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors