Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Junaid11
Helper V
Helper V

Special Character in Column Name

Hello,

I have few columns which have special characters in them. I tried creating a custom column based on column with special character in its name but it did not allow me to do that in Power query. My code was below:

Text.Combine( List.Distinct( List.Transform([Check][Work?], Text.Trim)),",")

I cannot change the column name. Is there a way that I can use this column name of Work? with special character. Help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

[#"Work?"] instead of [Work?] will work.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Danalber
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

I had a similar issue today and the solution above didn't work. After many try and errors the solution in my case was very easy.

In the power query the column name with the special character, "#" in my case, just needed to be set in a double quote.

SELECT TRANSACTION_ID, TRANSACTION_TYPE, ""COMMENTS#1"" FROM PROD_DB.PO.RCV_TRANSACTIONS

The single quote '' and squared brakes [] both didn't work in the power query.

Hope this might be useful to someone at some point. Wasted quite a bit time today. 🙂

BR

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

[#"Work?"] instead of [Work?] will work.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors