Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

SSAS connection - not showing graphs to members of group workspace

Hi to all,

I have set up a dashbord with integration of an SSAS cube, this have been made using Power BI desktop and the option Import data, so this allows me to have more measures and flexibility that a live connection does no allow.

When I do the upload to the Power BI portal I sert up the gateway in order to have recurrent updates without having to upload the file again, this is working fine and is a good way to have the best of two worlds live connection to SSAS and flexibility on creating our reports.

However there is a strange thing happening, the reports are publish to a group workspace where the member only have view privileges, because of that the user can't see the report the visuals are all given error, if I change the group settings to members can edit reports they show correctly.

Is anyone having this issue or have a different workaround than changing the group settings I don't want the group member to have writing priveledges on the dashbords/reports.

Thank you all.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MFelix

What error message does the user get? Do you apply Row Level Security on the dataset?

Based on my test, when I create RLS role in the dataset in Power BI Desktop, after I publish the dataset to Power BI group, the group member who only have view privileges will not be able to view the visual if I do not add him as a member of the defined RLS role in Power BI Service. If that is the case, please add the user to be member of defined  RLS role, this way, he can view the visual without issues.

However, please note that group members that have edit permission can view the visual because RLS roles will be applied to read-only group members.

Thanks,

Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MFelix

What error message does the user get? Do you apply Row Level Security on the dataset?

Based on my test, when I create RLS role in the dataset in Power BI Desktop, after I publish the dataset to Power BI group, the group member who only have view privileges will not be able to view the visual if I do not add him as a member of the defined RLS role in Power BI Service. If that is the case, please add the user to be member of defined  RLS role, this way, he can view the visual without issues.

However, please note that group members that have edit permission can view the visual because RLS roles will be applied to read-only group members.

Thanks,

Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thank you for your answer, we had been experimenting with RLS, however since this was changed to the cubes we decided not to go ahead with RLS.

I have deleted the roles that I had created and the users are seeing the right information.

Thank you again

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors