Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tonyk86
Helper I
Helper I

Repeating dates based on row criteria

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. So basically I have this survey dataset (see sample below). The Walk Date column doesn't actually exists in the original dataset, however it exists as one of the values in the Step Answer column. The Step Answer column contains multiple types of values (mostly text and dates). 

What I want to do is extract the date from the Step Answer column which is pretty easy, however, here is the tricky part now. I want to repeat that Walk Date for each of the unique Task ID.

Example: if Store 10 has a task ID of a39b-036c1df3a4f1. The Walk Date was 10/14/2020. I want to repeat that walk date for each row that contains that same task ID. See the column in red.  Hope someone can help out as I have been stuck on this for 45 minutes. Thanks! 

Task IDWalk Date (What I extracted)Walk Date ( What I want)LocationQuestion Step Answer
a39b-036c1df3a4f110/14/202010/14/2020101 - When was this location walked?10/14/2020
a39b-036c1df3a4f1Null10/14/2020102 - Was all the schedules posted on time?No
aaa8-98f60e23b0b110/20/2020 10/20/2020151 - When was this location walked?10/20/2020
aaa8-98f60e23b0b1Null 10/20/2020152 - Was all the schedules posted on time?Yes
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Can you just right-click on the Walk Date columnj @tonyk86 , select Fill from the right-click menu, then Down from the submenu?

It will fill the date down filling all nulls until it hits another date, then it stops and repeats the process.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
edhans
Super User
Super User

Great @tonyk86 - glad to be of assistance!

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

tonyk86
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @edhans,

Unfortunately, some locations have more than the 2 questions. Thanks for the suggestion. So when I do fill up/fill down (or both), it would sometimes put the incorrect date for at the start of the new task ID. This is my dilemma.  See the screenshot below. Any other suggestions?

tonyk86_0-1604683005800.png

Hi @edhans,

I was able to find a solution. What I did was filtered the question Walk Date which would remove the date discrepancy between the unique Task ID when I do the fill down. Thanks for your help!

edhans
Super User
Super User

Can you just right-click on the Walk Date columnj @tonyk86 , select Fill from the right-click menu, then Down from the submenu?

It will fill the date down filling all nulls until it hits another date, then it stops and repeats the process.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors